Help me cure an extremely skinny Port Acara

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
In the besement of my LFS (where both the treasures and the misfits are kept) I discovered a big Port Acara (6-7in). The owner says someone gave it to him, but he has been down there for over a year and has never healed up. What it looks like to me is that he got the crap beaten out him at sometime, but the fins healed abnormally. Much more pressing is that he is very skinny. Or I should say he belly is extremely sunken in, though the rest of him looks mostly normal. My LFS wants him gone and want to give him to me, but before I set a hospital tank, I want to know what will actually help him.

Is there anything that actually works to cure this condition?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Does it eat?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would assume so since the LFS guy said it has been like that for the year he has had it.
A buddy of mine in high school had a JD. He got bored with it after awhile and just completely stop caring for it. Stopped w/c, unplugged the heater and filters and just stopped feeding it. This thing lived for over a year!

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well this guy has the best LFS, and he put it down there to try to let it heal (because it got really beat up in the other persons tank). It might not have been his highest priority to fix him, but he definitely didn't stop feeding or water changes.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I donated some port cichlids to a local cichlid dealer several years ago, and when I went back a year later they still had one left in a mixed community tank. He was in the same condition. I felt guilty and brought him back home. I wormed him for roundworms and tapeworms, put him on good food, and the sunken in look never went away. He lived for a few more years but he was never a chunky, well-rounded acara again.

If you do bring him home, I would suggest worming him. I do this with all the wild cichlids I bring in. I do a levamisole treatment (24 hours), then a major water change, then let him rest a week with good food and clean water. You can do two or three 24-hour levamisole treatments, one to two weeks apart. This takes care of roundworms like capillaria and other parasitic nematodes.

After resting him for another week or two, you can treat him with praziquantel for flatworms like tapeworm. A single treatment of this is usually adequate. See if he passes any tapeworms. You can also add epsom salt as a laxative 12 - 24 hours after the prazi treatment to help him pass any dead worms that may still be in his body.

Other than these two treatments there really isn't much I'd recommend. There is always metronidazole for intestinal flagellates like hexamita, but unless he actually shows signs of those (white, stringy feces, lack of appetite, etc.) it's best not to treat the fish for it. If he eats well just feed him a good, varied diet and keep his water quality high, and that's your best chance of turning him around. I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll always look a bit sunken, though.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well this guy has the best LFS, and he put it down there to try to let it heal (because it got really beat up in the other persons tank). It might not have been his highest priority to fix him, but he definitely didn't stop feeding or water changes.
I'm pretty sure the guy is feeding him, but is it eating what its fed? The point to my second post is that sometimes fish can endure extraordinary circumstances before succumbing to death.

If you do decide to take this on, follow Ryansmith83's solid advices

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok thanks for the help. When cichlids have that sunken look - not skinny per say, like when a loach gets wasting disease, just a concave belly - is there a specific type of parasite that is usually responsible? If I take him on I will follow the directions you gave. I do like him, he is very big (well I guess I have never saw a full grown Port Acara...) and his pattern is striking. He reminds me of a browner A. metae.

So do you think once a fish's belly has been shrunken in like that for a long period of time, that even when the root cause is fixed they just never plump out again?

Ryansmith83, I don't suppose you have a picture of that Port Acara you had do you?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When cichlids have that sunken look - not skinny per say, like when a loach gets wasting disease, just a concave belly - is there a specific type of parasite that is usually responsible?
Not always. If it's not worms (Ryan's advice for deworming was spot on) then IMO it's best to follow up with a treatment of epsom soaked food @ 3% solution of epsom, which treats for internal parasites, the most common in aquaria being Spironucleus vortens. IMO the 3% epsom solution treatment is just as effective (in some cases more so), and far safer than using metronidazole. There's a sticky for this treatment in the illness/health section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store