EPDM Pond liner and acrylic

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Liner goes in first, then silicone, then the glass/acrylic. Theres also a tank just built with the liner going in second over the inside glass but i prefer to place it in first. Bolts are not needed in every case. My 650gal uses no bolts. The best sealant is hands down hutton products Gold Label Aquarium and Pond Sealer/Silicone but its $17-24 a tube. The second best silicone is 3m5200 $12-15 a tube....and third- revert back to gold label lol... Loctite brand pl roof and flashing sealant is used alot by the koi guys but id stick with the first 2 options in most cases. Theres no reinventing the wheel here so to speak....these are the only products proven to work over periods of time. Regular silicone will not hold up. You could also use a rubber gasket and bolts to create a watertight seal but u better have ur p's and q's together to do so lol...lotta chances to crack ur acrylic with that many holes every 2" and the pressure needed to prevent leaking. Many liner with window builds on these forums and on the internet. Do some digging and ull find the info u need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Abyssalisk

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
Thanks for the info that's what's figured. I have a 135 I just moved and the bottom piece cracked. So instead of fixing it I'm going to dismantle it and use the acrylic as a viewing window, and either make another smaller tank or use the remaining acrylic for my sump. Gonna save me about $300. Ha btw here is the tank. Since I'm using the 72"x24" acrylic I'll have to make my viewing window smaller. Oh well the sacrifice is worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I'd just repair the cracked 135 (super easy fix in acrylic) and use it as the filter for that tank u have pictured lol... If its only a 135 I wouldn't suggest using that thickness of acrylic for a tank that large. Itell bow like a s.o.b. and can lead to holes/bolts cracking. Try looking for used acrylic or polycarbonate/lexan in your area to save money. Banks/gas stations use 1-3" lexan windows to protect the tellers lol....a lot of people get this glass for next to nothing when places like that close down. Craigslist should have something you can use on the cheap also. You'll have a harder time cutting that 135 up for some scraps than repairing it for $50 or less. Window size does affect price across the board tho. You can also cut the cost a lot by searching around online stores for odd sizes of acrylic or cutoffs. 2'x4'x1" is usually fairly affordable. You may be able to find two of those cheaper than one larger window. Just some ideas. I'm just guessing ur 135 is 3/8"-1/2" thickness and that's not gonna cut it. I'd go atleast 3/4". youll be far happier down the road when it holds up better.

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
I'm that case I'll go back to my original plan, and use .5" glass, the viewing window will be 72"x 26". I already have to 55's for the sump system. But like you said I'll look around craigslist for some stuff. Thanks you've been the most help so far ha.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Maxime

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
Canada eh!
Good luck with your project. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store