First time sump question.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Just bought a Pan world magnet pump, the model is NH-100xp. It will be running with a geo skimmer. The pump is rated 792GPH, should I get a overflow that is rated 800GPH? The guy I got it from had it running on a 208 reef but had his tank drill. I'm not drilling my tank so please don't have a reply as "drill your tank" because I don't want to drill it. Thank you!

also might be the wrong place to ask but I'm setting up a 125 FOWLR tank (SW) can I get away with a aquaclear 70 jet for current or do I have to get a wave making jet with it being saltwater even tho it's a fish only thank? Help pleas thank you.
Note: the tank is cycling while I'm setting the system up so the HOTBs and the little jets are just helping mix the salt and heater will go in sump. Also working on lighting as well.

image.jpg

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Yup an overflow rated at 800 gph will be fine because with head loss your pump will be even lower than 790 gph.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I would not go with an 800 gph overflow. the numbers they give on pumps aren't precise, what if the one you get puts out 802 gph?
granted, it probably would be fine, but I've found giving yourself some extra safety margin is never going to come back to flood your house if you're wrong.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
If you're doing a HOB overflow, get one for at least 2x your flow rate and a powerhead with a venturi fitting. Put the powerhead in your sump with an airline going to the bleed fitting that should be installed on the top most U section in the overflow box.

This insures the bubbles that form in the overflow box are quickly removed, and the oversized box gives you some wiggle room for when the bleed line is clogged and flow gets reduced.
The powerhead in the sump instead of the tank means it won't slowly(!) drain the display tank if power fails.

After doing this myself, I went from a random flooding every few months, to two years of trouble free operation. Just keep a paperclip near the tank, and poke the bleed hole free of debris every water change.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I would not go with an 800 gph overflow. the numbers they give on pumps aren't precise, what if the one you get puts out 802 gph?
granted, it probably would be fine, but I've found giving yourself some extra safety margin is never going to come back to flood your house if you're wrong.
For a pump that's $200+ I'm hoping it's accurate. What size should I get then. Next size up is ether 900 or 1000 which wouldn't that be draining too much for my pump?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
If you're doing a HOB overflow, get one for at least 2x your flow rate and a powerhead with a venturi fitting. Put the powerhead in your sump with an airline going to the bleed fitting that should be installed on the top most U section in the overflow box.

This insures the bubbles that form in the overflow box are quickly removed, and the oversized box gives you some wiggle room for when the bleed line is clogged and flow gets reduced.
The powerhead in the sump instead of the tank means it won't slowly(!) drain the display tank if power fails.

After doing this myself, I went from a random flooding every few months, to two years of trouble free operation. Just keep a paperclip near the tank, and poke the bleed hole free of debris every water change.
do you happen to have pics or a website I could follow I'm alittle lost, sorry.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
The tank is going to have eels in it so I was thinking that the water level is going to be alittle lower than normal. If this helps at all with details

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store