Resin or real wood

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Need some opinions on what you all use in your tanks right now all my tanks have resin caves and wood (tree roots) the only natural things are large rocks. The oscar is maniac and always getting scrapped up I like the look and variety of resin wood/caves but what do you all prefer ? Trying to figure out how to decorate a new tank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like some of the resin stuff that is available,looks really lifelike and you don't have the issue of having to weigh the pieces down or that ugly wood fungus which tends to creep up out of nowhere.I guess the material depends on how nice the piece is.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I like some of the resin stuff that is available,looks really lifelike and you don't have the issue of having to weigh the pieces down or that ugly wood fungus which tends to creep up out of nowhere.I guess the material depends on how nice the piece is.
I like the resin too some stuff looks great i just couldn't think of anything that would be real and actually provide the smaller fish with cover

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The main concern is that my oscar is nuts and always gets scrapped up I was thinking the natural wood may cause less injuries

carl_d_c

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2014
Mineral Wells, Texas
I like wood, although, I don't like the way a lot of it releases the tannins. I recently purchased some resin stuff that looks great, and has plenty of good hiding places, and has pretty smooth surfaces that wouldn't be too rough on the fish, should they bang into it.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
The main concern is that my oscar is nuts and always gets scrapped up I was thinking the natural wood may cause less injuries

Go for the one that will be better to the health of your fish. Seems like the resin stuff is the way to go. There are some nice ones out there.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Natural looks better, but I use resin ornaments cause they tend to be hollow, and crap doesn't get caught underneath as easily.

Of course this is a moot point if you're on top of vaccing etc, but I don't really like to mess with the ornament placement once its set up due to territories/boundaries etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store