Ray curling fin while resting

papapanda

Feeder Fish
Jul 10, 2014
Malaysia
i have a 8" BDxLeo male who keeps curling his rear fin upwards most of the time when he is resting. looks a lot like the dreaded Death Curl but he only does that when he's totally resting, but not while he moves around or while feeding.

been doing that for a good part of 5 months now, VERY good appetite otherwise and seems to be breathing normally. he curls a bit less now than a couple of months back, but its still obvious. none of my other rays shows similar symptoms

Set up:
Pond - Around 2000 gallons
Tankmates - 4 female BDxLeo around 8"
Plants - Water Hyacinth covering around 25% of the surface
Filter - 3x 50 gallons homemade trickle filter with ard 30k litter/hour flow rate
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Almost never exceeds 10ppm because of the plants
Diet - MP, Cockles, Fish Fillet, Squids and the occasional octopus tentacles and sliced small whole fish

Any idea what is wrong with him?

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I have a female that does the same thing from time to time, almost as if she freezes. I thought it was something bad but she eats like a pig and is constantly searching for food. Seems healthy to me so maybe it's just an odd behavior.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
My motoro used to do that with both sides of the back of his disc when I first got him and I put it down to the high flow for my ATF, he stopped doing it over time and is perfectly healthy but hopefully someone more experienced can advise you how to tell if it's normal or something you should treat

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
My BD hybrid male is around 7 " s he does the same thing with one side or both sides of the disc when he isnt searching for food and he is perfectly healthy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store