Plumbing Suggestions for 540G Outdoor Pond?

bgwoods4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Long Beach, CA
So I've recently built an outdoor pond (7.5'x3.5'x2.75') and got everything pretty much setup. I'm running a TetraPond DHP4200 pump with 1 1/2" ID tubing to a TetraPond BP1500 w/UV filter then up to a piece of driftwood that I'm using to make a small waterfall. I've also thrown a 1 1/2"x3/4"x1 1/2" T w/3/4" ball valve between the pump and filter to bleed off some flow to create a small current in the bottom of the pond as well. With this current setup I've run into two small problems. First, with waterfall is creating a little too much noise for my wife's liking since it's about 30 feet from our bedroom window. Even with the 3/4" ball valve full open to reduce the flow to the fall its still a bit too noisy for her. The second issue is that the amount of flow from the fall is agitating the water surface to the point that its making it pretty difficult to see down to the bottom to appreciate the view of the fish and turtle.

The only thing that I can think of to remedy this is to add another T between the filter and waterfall and then run the new tubing from the T directly into the pond to cut down on the flow going to the waterfall. I'm wondering if I just use a straight 1 1/2" T or plumb it the same as I did between the pump and filter with a 1 1/2"x3/4"x1 1/2" T? The difference between the 2 would be a flow reduction of 50% with the straight 1 1/2" T as compared to a flow reduction of 33% with the 1 1/2"x3/4"x1 1/2" T to the waterfall, am I correct? I could probably throw another ball valve in there too so that it would give me some control over the flow if I ever wanted to adjust it. Any thoughts, concerns, ideas on this plan? I need to get it dialed in this weekend before my wife loses patience with my newest pet project. Thanks!

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Hard to give suggestions without pics. How about putting a sheet of acrylic where the waterfall flows, so that instead of actually having falling water, it flows down the acrylic all the way past the waters surface. Friction should slow down the water creating less noise and less disturbance allowing you to see your fish. You'll want a slight angle to the acrylic so water is not falling at a 90 degree angle straight down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store