Scared of my vacation

arowanafinatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2014
Brampton, Ontario
So I'm on vacation in new Brunswick which is fun and a good break from the city in Ontario. But I'm just praying to god that my sister actually remembers to feed my aro and turn my lights off because I don't want to come back to an empty tank Haha. Did a waste change before I left and I'm gone for 2 weeks hopefully he'll be ok

Sent from my SGH-T999V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
So I'm on vacation in new Brunswick which is fun and a good break from the city in Ontario. But I'm just praying to god that my sister actually remembers to feed my aro and turn my lights off because I don't want to come back to an empty tank Haha. Did a waste change before I left and I'm gone for 2 weeks hopefully he'll be ok

Sent from my SGH-T999V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
LOL, was in the same situation when I went away for a week in Cali with a baby 4" black at home.

1. don't even bother having ur sister turn the lights on/off, just leave the lights off (assuming theres natural sunlight)
  2. put individual daily food amount in individual baggies n just tell her dump only 1 baggy every xxxx days in the tank
  3. TELL HER TO CLOSE THE LID TIGHTLY
  4. jumping out + bad water= most worry, starvation= least worry

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
for just two weeks could it have been better to do water change, turn lights off, turn down temp (if possible), and let 'em gorge for 2 days before leaving and then just leave 'em be?

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I think it'd actually be better for them to fast a day or two before you leave and then do a large water change, that way their system is a bit cleaned out and they aren't making the tank as dirty while you're gone and no one can change the water.

Instead of using baggies (which is fine) you could also use a medicine box for the food. Now that I think about it though if you have big food baggies are probably better. :p

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I personally would rather let the fish fast during vacation time than risk having a non-fish-keeper left in care........I hear way too many of these horror stories.

A timer cost around $5, so don't know why you don't just have one set up for your light.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Its actually amazing just how downhill things can go when you ask other people to care for your fish while holidaying.

Last time I came back, my banded gecko was running about the floor (having fell 6 feet from his tank on shelf), there were numerous dead fish etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I feel the same way about vacation. Love to take them but worry the whole time.
My problem with my tank set up is there's too many things to go wrong.
First water levels. I've got a 800 gal. Per week drip. I could turn it off for a couple days, but there's still filter pads that could plug and cause overflow. Then more filters that need to be checked everyday.
Then there's always temp, air pumps, and the fish that might not be getting along.
Let's not forget what I'd have to do if we lost power.
Sometimes its just too much to ask for someone to watch your fish.
Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

arowanafinatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2014
Brampton, Ontario
So just came back yesterday, I would've posted early in the week but while I was kayaking trying to save my family from drifting out to sea my phone fell into the water 😓 my aro is still safe, he grew an inch and a half since I left which was a surprise haha. My sister told me that she was freaked out by it so she would wait for it to go to the other side of the tank to put the food in. On the downside she ended up spilling 3/4 of my new jumbo bag of hikari jumbo pellets on the ground which was a good waste of $30 but hey at least my aro was fine haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Same here once I left my fish tank when I went on a 5 day camping/fishing trip. My grandma took care of it for me. I come home to find that my water was dark tea color brown!!! And I dont even have any wood in there. Too much hikari gold pellets were fed and I just bought a big bag of it and about less than a handful of pellets were left and my oscar made a mess of the tank! He lived however but then died a couple weeks later because he jumped :( he was the only fish at the time in my 180. I guess it was meant to be Now I never leave for more than a few days. I would rather leave the tank be if I had to go for a week than tell people to feed the fish for me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store