wet/dry or canister??

psbullies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2014
miami,fl
I have the option to set up either one on my 125 but dont want to over do it.. which would be better as a simpler fliter?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I run canisters. From 10-220 gal, most of my tanks have Eheims, few have sponge and powerhead.

I can't comment on wet dry. Never tried it. Canisters are so easy and simple for me, that I never saw the need to venture away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Pros and cons to both, but IMO sumps reign supreme. You just can't beat the amount of media and added water volume. Plus, you've got a ton of options when it comes to media, whether bioballs, ceramics, scrubbies, K1, etc.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
For me honestly, I would go all canisters rather than wet drys. Cost is about the same and don't let anyone else tell you differently. A used fx5 or ehiem on craigs will surly cost less than a sump for a large tank. The tank, pump, overflowbox, dividers, aren't cheap... But one could argue a diy route for the overflow but still its over 100 easily for a large tank...

I'm finding myself maintaining my sump on my 220 more than my actual tank. Water evaporates which leads the pump to run dry which leads me to refill every 4-5 days which is a PITA.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Canister and hob combo. I have 5 tanks in this size range, some community, some single fish. Filstar xpxl and AC110 is a good setup. 135g in my bedroom I run 2 Filstars, just because they are so quiet. The timer on the light makes more noise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store