What Should I Make a 20 Tall?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Have a 20 tall (24 x 12 x 16) that I got for $5 off a friend and I'm planning on setting it up in about two weeks. I'm tossing around a few ideas if what to do with it and they're all equally good to me so I'll put it to a vote. Just say which option sounds the most appealing to you.

1) Livebearer breeding tank. Gravel substrate with maybe some hardy floating plants at the surface. I'd breed either fancy guppies, swordtails, or some other more rare type of livebearer such as goodeids or gambusia.

2) SE Asian Biotope. Sand substrate with some nice plants and driftwood. Stock would be a single asian bumblebee catfish (he's currently in my 30 tall). He doesn't need an entire tank to himself but I think it might look cool since he's a very active fish for his species.

3) Native Swamp Biotope. Black sand substrate (to imitate mud) with some hardier native plants and some driftwood here and there. Stock would be a few darters (probably some mix of Johnny, swamp, mud, and Iowa) and some minnows, mudminnows, or native killies.

4) Mottled Sculpin Species Tank. Gravel substrate with rock work and caves (no plants or driftwood). Stock would be 3 mottled sculpins.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I like #3.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So now I'm pretty much just stuck between 3 and 4 unless somebody suggests something else I'd like. Not the biggest fan of cichlids, I still keep a few such as blue acaras and angels but they're both peaceful. I'm more of a sunfish guy, but thanks for the suggestions!

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I like #3. What about a group of Dwarf Sunfish (of the Elassoma Species), and some native Killies? They are interesting little fish, require no heaters, minimal lighting, and minimal flow. Only drawback I've experienced is it can be a bit difficult to get them to accept foods other than live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store