which large(ish) SA center piece fish

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
i'm currently building a plywood tank that will be L shaped 4' long on one angle and 6' on the other the inside space is roughly 18" high by 18" wide. I will have some plants, mostly giant hair grass planted in little Tupperware containers and that will be secured with river rocks piled around/on top of it. I hope to have a large piece of branchy driftwood. the substrate will be pool filter sand. the fish i'm building the tank around are a group, prob 8 or so, of red head geophagus Tapajos and 2 recently purchased l091 plecs. I may choose to add a group mesonauta but that will depend on space which I don't know I will have if I have a bigger fish in there as well. so my question. I was hoping an Oscar but I am worried it might be a bit tight. what other suggestions might people have or do you think an Oscar might be okay? In a tank like this would I have room to add a bigger fish?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
How many gallons? Sounds great.maybe chocolates. oscar could work,I have no experience with them, if it grows with the geos the chances are better

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Thats a cool sounding tank. The short side comes to about 70g, the long around 100. 8 Geos, couple plecs and possible others makes room tight for an Oscar. Oscar will almost guaranteed shred all your plants. Couple smaller, less bio load fish would work I think. A couple of nice Severum would be very compatible.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Thats a cool sounding tank. The short side comes to about 70g, the long around 100. 8 Geos, couple plecs and possible others makes room tight for an Oscar. Oscar will almost guaranteed shred all your plants. Couple smaller, less bio load fish would work I think. A couple of nice Severum would be very compatible.
I agree, a couple of super red Severums would look amazing with the geos!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've considered chocolates but, like an Oscar, was worried it would be too big when full grown. I actually hadn't considered a severum really until now. I didn't like the look but after thinking on it the idea is growing on me.
What part of the tank do they tend to occupy? And also would a sev be alright with corys? I would like to thrown a group in.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What about a couple of ivanacara

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
i checked out ivanacara, not really what i'm looking for in regards to this tank although a really cool fish. in everyones experience would a green terror get along with geo Tapajos well enough? I've heard they can be chill but it might depend on the individual, what do you think?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Bumblebee oscar.
I have a juvie that I hope turns out like this oneuploadfromtaptalk1405460786383.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store