Using coral in tank

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I have these two large chunks of coral in my basement I used to use for my tank about 15 years ago they are about 10"x 8" each can I set them in my tank to up the ph and that? Should I break them up? Right now in my grow out tank is bare bottom 50 gallon with a couple rocks I'm using salt at 1 teaspoon per gal and baking soda to up ph but can't seem to get it past 8.0 so can the coral work/help?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Give it a healthy and thorough soak, and you're in business. Anything aragonite based will do a nice job of keeping the pH elevated.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Up to you. You can tie it into the aquascape or break it up and run it inside of your filter. The buffering capabilities work just the same.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I use crushed in both my 420 gallon tanks its the best thing I ever did it keeps my PH at 7.0 even between weekly water changes.I added 40 pounds to each tank and i am going to add another 20 to keep it at 7.2 to 7.6 my fish seem a lot more happy with the higher PH the only thing that I noticed is it starts to break down as it buffers and some white cloudy stuff comes out when I vacuum.my water was always piss yellow in PH before the coral.The big piece that you want to put in will probably work check Ph after a day or two if not high enough you can add some crushed coral,it might buffer more crushed because it will break down quicker. It does not cloud my water because it settles under the red river gravel that I all ready had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store