Are there really King/Royal Marbled Motoro's ?

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I keep seeing those names pop up on different vendor sites and them being used a bit on here, so is it legit? I think I saw this come up a while ago, but I couldn't find the thread. I want to know what distinguishes a regular Marble, from a King/Royal? Is it collection point, pattern, color.......? I am just hoping that it's not just another way of saying "My rays are better than yours, because it's a King Marble and yours is just a Marble", or some other hokey crap. That being said, I have 2 marbles, can anyone tell me if they are King/Royal? Either way I love the look of a lot of the marbles that have been posted lately, no matter what they are called.

I am sorry if I am beating a dead horse with this, thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

PeterRogl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Austria
www.rochen.at
those are only trading names, it's the same with henlei, leopoldi and p14; they are sold as king, bigspot, eclipse, thousand island or royal galaxy.
as there is no standard you can name your rays however you want

true
I am just hoping that it's not just another way of saying "My rays are better than yours, because it's a King Marble and yours is just a Marble", or some other hokey crap.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
those are only trading names, it's the same with henlei, leopoldi and p14; they are sold as king, bigspot, eclipse, thousand island or royal galaxy.
as there is no standard you can name your rays however you want

true
I agree with Peter on this.

The top pic is a much higher grade ray than the bottom one.

Nice!

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I agree with Peter on this.

The top pic is a much higher grade ray than the bottom one.

Nice!
Thanks! So basically what you are saying is that it's just another way of establishing a quality scale, so a King/Royal Marble is the equivalent of a "AAA" Marble?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
But where is the guide that days what AAA is?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Thanks! So basically what you are saying is that it's just another way of establishing a quality scale, so a King/Royal Marble is the equivalent of a "AAA" Marble?
At the end of the day the person selling the ray can call it what they want. I have seen many Marbles on here with the title royal Marble, not too many deserve such a title. There is an old saying and its true...if you are happy with a particular ray then buy it...simple!
Your one in the first pic for instance is nicer than many so called royals I have seen, for me any ray with AAA before its name needs to be extra special.......trouble is everyone has their own idea as to what "extra special" is.....pictures speak louder than words in all cases.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It's just a name

If you like a ray and it's the standard you are looking for then buy it

Some names are given to lower grade rays to make them more appealing

Trust your eye I would say

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
It's just a name

If you like a ray and it's the standard you are looking for then buy it

Some names are given to lower grade rays to make them more appealing

Trust your eye I would say

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
i agree that, as the buyer, it is up to you to decide what is the best look for the ray you want to purchase. I just think that because there really isn't a definitive guide to freshwater stingrays quality compared to price, adding names like that is just a gimmick to get perspective ray owners to bite on the Marble a vendor/LFS is selling. But in the end, like you said, if you like the way a ray looks, you are gonna get it no matter what name or grade is next to its name.

Revolution8789

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2014
Aljunied
For me, I feel that it's not the name we are after. It's the spot or design that we are after...
My friend and I likes rays. But he only in those black base sp or P12,13,14. To me as long I like the spot or design is good enough.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Yup, definitely trade names. But there was a point when those spoke of 2 very different looking fish, at least from our importers.

When I was seeing a lot of fresh marbles a few (maybe more) years back, royal marbles usually described the type marble you have in the first picture. From some stretch/tributary of the Orinoco, displaying a lot of chain link pattern around the disk edge and thick "worm lining". Often referred to as Orinoco marbles.

The ray in the other photo looks very similar to fish that were supposedly coming from Peru. But seeing as a huge portion of aquarium fish from SA come through Lima, I wouldn't put a big wager on that.

I never seen the king marble moniker until the last 5yrs or so. Maybe it just wasn't circulating in my group.

In any case... it seems that if it is half way decent, you can call it a king, royal whatchamacallit or what ever you like. Heck, for all I know, these Orinoco and Peruvian marbles could have been siblings.

Nice rays BTW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store