My new Astronotus Crassipinnis

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I ordered from Wetspot this week, and just received my order today. The fish I am most excited about is my Astronotus Crassipinnis, or Big Eye Oscar. It is the only other officially recognized species in the Oscar family, and the largest recorded wild fish was ~10 inches, though who knows how big they get in captivity.

I already love this fish! I expected he would be pretty shy, since that is what I had read, and because he is wild caught, but he is not at all. He is so graceful, and glides around like he is floating, but he is purposeful, examining everything and coming up to the glass to look at me. He is only about 3 inches now, and is temporarily in a 90g tank with the other fish from the order, 5 Green Chromides (for duanes), 6 Biotidoma cupido, and 6 Gymnogeophgus "blue neon".

I did have my 5 Satanaperca luecosticta (my other favorite so far!) that I ordered in there as well, but they came in at only 1 inch, but he kept sidling up next to them and seemed like he was trying to figure out if he could fit them in his mouth, so I fished them out and put them in a different tank. So far he has shown no unsolicited aggression to the other fish, but he seems to quietly demand their respect. The Green Chromides, who are about the same size as him, keep brushing against him as they school, and he just turns around and looks at them, and immediately they back off. One made the mistake of nipping at his tail and as quickly as a snake strikes he whipped around and was ready to fight, but since the Chromide wanted none of that, it went no further.

And he since he is a growing boy he has an appetite to match. When I fed the tank everyone ate, which I was very pleased about, but he never stopped eating til every scrap was eaten off the sand! His little belly was positively bulging with bloodworms and mysis.

I will try to post some pictures but I only have my phone camera, so I can't get those beautiful pictures than people can.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great pick up I have read that they stay smaller than common oscars and are very hard to come by... very interested to see son pics. I have an f1 a.orbicularis from jeff rapps and I absolutley love him.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well if anyone is interested, I think Wetspot still has them, though unless you are ordering multiple fish the shipping is pretty exspensive.
Anyone know how to post pics from a phone? I cant find an attachment button on mobile.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
When you click reply tap the little icon that looks like a camera then it should direct you to your photos

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
That is the best picture I could get, though he looks washed out because of the sun shining down on him. The picture may not capture it, but he does have some noticiable differences compared to a normal Oscar. His bars are different in both color and pattern, his eyes are bigger,a as the common name I bough him under indicates, his fins are longer, and his body is more elongated. Though I don't normally name my fish, I have decided to call him Teddy, because he seems to abide by Theodore Roosevelt's maxim, "Walk softly and carry a big stick."

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Very nice he should grow into a little monster. I wonder how close the orbics are to the crassipinnis because they too have much longer fins and bigger eyes. As well as there bars are different

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hows the little guy doing ....post some pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store