Filter Not Working

tittusc11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Apex, NC
So I have a 20g tank, and I've had it for a year. Everything has been working fine. Last night I noticed that my filter was not working on my tank and on my betta tank. I changed the filter cartridges. I managed to fix the betta tank filter (it's a little whisper one, can't really get that much wrong with it). However, the 20g filter isn't working at all. I tried unplugging and replugging, and changing where the surge protector was plugged in. I cleaned the entire filter maybe a month or so ago. Can anyone help figure out what's wrong?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I know you said you cleaned the entire filter, just checking though did you remove the impeller and clean the housing? That's the usual culprit for filters not working

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
yea mines about to go cause i have snails in my sump some how. clean the housing and impeller if that doesnt work just get a new one cause im sure the bb is gone after cleaning the whole filter

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If it is an Aquaclear power filter, fill the housing with water, plug the filter in and nudge the impeller blades with a wooden skewer. Just move the intake pipe to the side a little bit to reach the impeller blades. All this assumes you have already cleaned the impeller and the pump housing to remove any built up gunk.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Deeda, Pazzomanand others, 1 tiny grain of sand or minute snail wedged in the impeller shaft can stop an impeller (which is the heart and working part of the filter) from doing its job. You need to take off the intake tube, flush it, and then either remove the impeller and brush it and the volute (where the impeller sits) out with an old toothbrush, or flush out the area as best you can if the impeller doesn't come out, sometimes it takes more than once.
I do this at least twice per month on these kinds of filters.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The OP wasn't clear on the brand of the 2nd filter on the 20G tank so I'm just winging it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store