Think I'm gonna give up on all fish but bichirs

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
So I think I'm gonna give up on all the fish I wanted the past year or so and not worry bout Gettin them
Peacock bass
Oscars
Gars
Bowfins
Fire eels and few others

I'm thinkin bout just gettin a whole bunch of bichirs and just have one fish that swims around near the top like a arowana or something ..
Any of u think that's a good idea ? Or any of u that do that are y'all very happy with just havin a bunch of bichirs and that's it?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Once I have the room for a tank large enough to house an arrowana this is exactly what I'm going to do. 1 Asian arrow and 6+ bichirs. The larger species of course. Want them all to be 18" plus so the arrow doesn't look at them as food. I think it would be a beautiful setup and stock.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'm wanting at least 10 bichirs all 20" plus

I have 2 only bichir tanks and love them. I am getting other fish such as a couple knife fish, catfish and some other, but that's more because interested in them and want to try them out, but I'm very happy with a bichir only tank. My favorite part is having 10+ species and seeing them all in the same tank and being able to compare their differences.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I have 2 only bichir tanks and love them. I am getting other fish such as a couple knife fish, catfish and some other, but that's more because interested in them and want to try them out, but I'm very happy with a bichir only tank. My favorite part is having 10+ species and seeing them all in the same tank and being able to compare their differences.
See that's what I want like one of all diff species of them .... I'm very interested in endli milo.. Black volta...congicus ..ansorgii .. Lapxkoliba... Lap farana...and would love a platinum bichir mainly those
Already have
14" Lapradei not sure the kind but it is wc
4" Cb endli
7" Cb Delhezi
Tryin for others but no pet stores really carry anything else other than Senegals

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Just keep your eyes peeled at LFS and on Craig's list. My friend just snagged a 21" endli off Craig's list for $40. I haven't even seen an endli in a pet store here

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Just keep your eyes peeled at LFS and on Craig's list. My friend just snagged a 21" endli off Craig's list for $40. I haven't even seen an endli in a pet store here
I got a cb endli at a Lfs but I had to call them every week for 3 months b4 they finally ordered it for me .... A d I it so so lucky with the lap theysaid they got it in cause it was the only time tey have ever seen it

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
So I think I'm gonna give up on all the fish I wanted the past year or so and not worry bout Gettin them
Peacock bass
Oscars
Gars
Bowfins
Fire eels and few others

I'm thinkin bout just gettin a whole bunch of bichirs and just have one fish that swims around near the top like a arowana or something ..
Any of u think that's a good idea ? Or any of u that do that are y'all very happy with just havin a bunch of bichirs and that's it?

It depends on your tank size, but i have my bichirs with a red tail giant gourami. I like the setup and the gourami gets all the attention from my guests. The gourami bites at them periodically but he mostly ignores them. when he does bite at them they hardly react and i dont think he could do any real damage if he wanted to. The one annoying thing is the gourami is such a pig he eats most of the food before it sinks to the bottom and i have to over feed just to make sure the bichirs get fed at all. i imagine you would have this issue with most top dwelling fish. i try to feed first thing in the morning when the gouarmi hasnt quite woken up yet or after lights out at night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store