Best "color" sand for frontosa

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I keep getting crossed answers when I search some say black is the way to go make them color up then others say black make them turn dull and dark while others I've read say light makes them brighter and yet others say light color sand makes them dull and white so what's your experience

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Use a green background. Color of substrate doesn't make that much difference. The frontosa don't stay on the bottom. They are also a deep water fish and don't like too much light in the aquarium.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
I use black backgrounds and pool filter sand in all my tanks. I don't keep fronts anymore but when I did it was the same as my other tanks. Seems that the black sand makes the colors on the fronts very dark. With the black background and white/tan sand, it seems to be a happy medium for the fish. They were nice and bright, without being washed out.

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
I use black backgrounds and pool filter sand in all my tanks. I don't keep fronts anymore but when I did it was the same as my other tanks. Seems that the black sand makes the colors on the fronts very dark. With the black background and white/tan sand, it seems to be a happy medium for the fish. They were nice and bright, without being washed out.
I've seen a few like that. Where the sand was black and the fronts just faded in. I have PFS and a black painted background and they look great.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I like white sand + black background.

But I have an acrylic tank with blue background. Decided to mix, in equal parts, black and white sand. I wanted the tank a bit darker to compensate with the blue background. Pretty happy with the results.

I tried black sand before.....no no no. Made the Zaires looked soooooooo dark and gloomy.

Spartacus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
ft.myers,florida
I used to have pics where you could see the fish pass over a light colored rock when there was black sand.the black highlights the blue more it seemed.the fins are translucent almost so the black made the blue darker/stand out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store