New rainbow snakehead tank

Wildest

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Hey there, new to the site.

I recently set up a 29g tank and have two rainbow snakeheads in it. This is how this tank will stay, (no more fish)
and it is currently filtered with a 45g fluval canister (2 trays of biomax, and top tray has carbon, but could put any additional material in the tray.

I also have a 20g tank set up as a community tank, and my intent is to breed/feed the guppies that are in it for use as feeders.

I understand the varying opinions on feeders but this is what it am doing (my snakeheads are also eating frozen bloodworms)

Basically I'm asking for tips on keeping rainbow snakeheads, optimal water conditions, (I want to really bring out their colours) and how best to feed the feeder fish, and how often to feed live vs bloodworms

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
They are subtropical fish. They need a cool down period for the winter. Just leaving them at room temperature all year is usually good enough in Canada.
They need a heavily planted aquarium with lots of hiding places. 29g might be a bit small for the 2. Are they a pair?
Slightly acidic water is preferred.
Bloodworms and guppies are not ideal food choices. This species is primarily an insectivore. Feeding should be 2-4 times per week in the summer and 1-2 times per week in the winter.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Where did you get your rainbow snakeheads. Are they not illegal in certain provinces... I want some real bad never thought I was allowed them in Ontario

Wildest

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Thanks for the tips on foods,
The manager at my
lfs keeps a pair in a 29g and he said they should be fine. He also recommended strictly live good but I guess not the best advice.

would crickets be a good food choice? I have access to them quite easily from the lfs.

im keeping the tank around 22-23 for the summer and was going to drop it to around 18 in the winter, how long should this winter period be for the tank?

from what I understand they are illegal to buy and sell in Ontario but Nova Scotia permits them, my legs ordered in three as a test market and I was lucky enough to get them.

Is there any way to bring out their colours, how
much will their color change from now? They are about 3 inches at the moment, quite young.

image.jpg

Wildest

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
As far as a pair, I don't know the genders. Both same age and
appear to be from
the same spawn. (Same markings)
i could pick up the third one my lfs has in hopes a pair forms, and then sell/give away the odd one out?

Wildest

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Oh, they seem to get along, frequently laying on eachother.
had one fight where one tried to enter the cave while the other was in it, but was only a one time thing and they have since been getting along

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I would pick up the third personally, but there's always a risk.
Feeding mostly mealworms and occasional crickets and other bugs is good. Gut load the insects with carrots and spinach. Carrots will help promote red coloring.
It would be good to get them up to 26C in the summer. 18C is fine in the winter. Just follow the length of our seasons.
These are still young and will likely get more aggressive as they mature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store