Suggestions on an algae eater?

TIMBIIIRD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2014
Grand Terrace, California
I have a 50 gallon aquarium with african cichlids, blood parrots, tiger barbs, and catfish. Recently my 8" common pleco died and I am looking for a replacement. I dont really want to get another pleco because my africans beat it up. I've considered chinease algae eaters because of their short fins and how quick they are. But, all my fish are 4"+ and I cant find any algae eaters big enough (other than plecos)

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
If u get a medium size pleco it will be fine. They are tough and hardy. I have several in my african cichlid tank all doing fine. When they are small provide lots of hiding spot for cover. Mine would be under some rocks most of-the time. Until they got bigger

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Flagtail Prochilodus. Better than a pleco and poops less. If you can find one get it. Plus they grow slower than a pleco.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You mention big fish like parrots using plural, I'd keep an eye on the bioload in a 50gal, plecos are poo machines and wouldn't help in that regard. Try nerite snails.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TIMBIIIRD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2014
You mention big fish like parrots using plural, I'd keep an eye on the bioload in a 50gal, plecos are poo machines and wouldn't help in that regard. Try nerite snails.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have 2 Aquaclear 70 HOBs running, 18" bubble wand, and air stone. I also preform weekly water changes.

Depends. Give us a more specific version of your stocklist... what sp of catfish?
I am currently cycling a 75 gallon and once it is ready, my parrots and cichlids will be going in there

(12) Tiger Barbs
(6) African Cichlids
(5) 2 year old Blood Parrot
(1) Juvenile Blue Channel Catfish
(1) Pictus Catfish
(1) Juvenile Stripped Raphael Catfish
(1) Juvenile Albino Bichir
(1) Juvenile Clown Knife
(1) Gold Gourami
(1) Crayfish

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
wow clown knife and channel cat will definately outgrow tank, what type of Africans? Suprized they haven't beaten up the parrots?

TIMBIIIRD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2014
wow clown knife and channel cat will definately outgrow tank, what type of Africans? Suprized they haven't beaten up the parrots?

Clown Knife is only 3" and the Channel Cat is only 4"
By the time they are going to be needing a bigger tank, I will have one.

Not sure what kind of Africans I have. Got them out of an assorted tank. My best guess would be Haps and Peacocks.
The Africans leave my Parrots alone because the parrots are bigger. Doesn't stop them from nipping at their fins every once in while.

TIMBIIIRD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2014
Oh my. The last thing you need right now, is more fish.
I've been cycling a 75 gallon for about 2 months now. I'm going to give it another month and transfer my Parrots and Africans into it. I preform weekly water changes and have 2 Aquaclear 70 HOBs. Everyone is doing just fine. The biggest fish I have in my tank are my Parrots. All the other fish are no bigger than 4"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store