Lets see those sharks and shark tanks

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Here's a pic of one of my coral catsharks:

P1000054.jpg

I'm in the process of a huge upgrade, twin 500 gallon round tanks (84" dia). Drains recently plumbed, still need to plumb the returns. Those white pipes inside the tanks are still TBD, but will draw water from both the bottom and top of those central columns. Will only be running one leg of the system to start, and will open the second leg at a later time. Tanks are temporarily in position right now to get plumbed into the system, will be adding many more bricks to the bottom of each to provide a stable and flat surface for the tubs to sit on.

P1030301.jpg

Through the door seen by the left tank is this filter room: Left to right we have an aquadyne 1.1 bubble washed bead filter, 120 watt UV, aquarium engineering protein skimmer (12x48" column), aquarium engineering sulfur denitrator to be put online at a future time after the tank is running and stable,inline titanium heater, low-space bio reactor that will have 2 - 2.5 ft3 of kaldness media, 74 gallon sump to tie it all together.

P1030303.jpg

Still have a ways to go to finalize plumbing, do the electrial, and then wet test before it will be up and running. Need to add top off as well. Also will be adding ventilation for humidity control in main room. Hope to be up and running in the next few months.

P1000054.jpg

P1030301.jpg

P1030303.jpg

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Is that a basement or a garage? Any plans on humidity control?

How awesome would it be to connect the tanks? You could glue in a rectangular tote like a channel.

Very fun set up, good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Got pics of my tank in a separate thread but its just cycling nothing to see right now. Those two 500gallon tanks look nice and have killer filtration! The idea to connect them sounds good, but could turn into a nightmare. Would still love to see it happen though hahahaha

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Both tanks have 2" bulkheads installed. Each has a 2" true union ball valve that connects them to a common 3" pipe that is also connected to the sump tank. The return is a 2" line that tees to a 1 1/2" gate valve at each tank. This will make it easy to run full open, closed, or balance the tanks together. Valves on each drain and return is what also allows me to start with one tank empty at first. The return line has just been started. You can see the 2" union coming out of the wall above the left tank.

The tanks are in the basement. One of the windows in the room is easy to take out, and a false panel will be put in its place. Inside this panel will be a 12" shutter fan, the kind used in agriculture and greenhouses. It will be on a timer to come on for a few minutes every hour. I also have a dehumidifier that I can use if I need to. The long term solution would be a fresh air exchanger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store