Ray breeding tank depth??

momojai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
australia
Hi All,

I'm in the process of adding another ray tank.

I currently breed motoros in approx 24" deep without any problems.

My question is, what depth do you breed rays in? I'm looking for a minimum depth so I can make the footprint as long and wide as possible.

So if you breed rays, what's your water depth??

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
One of my tanks is 9.5'X4'X only 12" tall. The rays seem to have no problem breeding in it but it is far less than ideal.If not for the 4"lip around the top I would have had several rays hit the floor during non breeding activities.Any ray more than 10" wide seems cramped in it.The adult rays are not nearly as comfortable in it as they are in deeper tanks.I hope to replace it with a deeper tank or make it a pup only tank.I think 24" is the minimum I would set up for breeding given the choice.

momojai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
australia
Thanks oldfish.

That's great/interesting to know they can breed in as little as 12".

I was thinking 18-20" depth.

Anyone else care to share the depth of their breeding tank/pond??

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I think 12" tall is to shallow for adult rays to breed

If you had 2 x 18" disk rays trying to breed in a 12" tall tank I think it would be hard for the male to flip the female and you would get lots of water spillage

I think 24" tall is the bare min for adult rays

I know for sure my big rays wouldn't be happy in 12" tall

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
I think 12" tall is to shallow for adult rays to breed ------WRONG

If you had 2 x 18" disk rays trying to breed in a 12" tall tank I think it would be hard for the male to flip the female and you would get lots of water spillage-------WRONG

I think 24" tall is the bare min for adult rays ----WRONG

I know for sure my big rays wouldn't be happy in 12" tall ------I AGREE

T1KARMANN Why do you think I lied about my rays breeding in a 12" tank?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
He never said you lied about anything. You are over reading into his conversation. That is just his way of talking. He is just saying for really large rays a foot deep is not much to work with. Is it possible yes. But some rays might not breed in a situation like that. He is just saying overall 12 inches deep is not ideal for most that want to keep and breed. I have a friend that was able to breed rays in a 180 and they were large rays. Was it idea not at all. My one female would go crazy in a small tank like that and I'm sure others would say similar thing about not recommending it.

T1KARMANN Why do you think I lied about my rays breeding in a 12" tank?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
For small rays 12" is possible

For a 18" disk ray or 24" disk female motoro I don't think it will work that well water will splash all over the place

You say your rays have bred in 12" depth but what size are the rays ?

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
He never said you lied about anything. You are over reading into his conversation. That is just his way of talking. He is just saying for really large rays a foot deep is not much to work with. Is it possible yes. But some rays might not breed in a situation like that. He is just saying overall 12 inches deep is not ideal for most that want to keep and breed. I have a friend that was able to breed rays in a 180 and they were large rays. Was it idea not at all. My one female would go crazy in a small tank like that and I'm sure others would say similar thing about not recommending it.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
No he did say that they could not breed and that they would spill water etc. You are the one who is guessing what he wanted to say. I will however be happy to forgive him for not explaining his own opinions well if you think thats the case.

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
For small rays 12" is possible

For a 18" disk ray or 24" disk female motoro I don't think it will work that well water will splash all over the place

You say your rays have bred in 12" depth but what size are the rays ?

I have had Motoros,Marble Motoros, and Leopoldi all breed in this tank. Ranging in size from 12" to over 20"wide all without spilling a drop. It is not what I recommend for breeding or even for day to day care but it is possible and that was the question asked

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
All the Ray keepers I know that have bred rays have tanks deeper than 24 inch.. So on that basis... The chances of being greatly improve if deeper than 24 inch.
More like 28 or deeper.
Also water quality will surely play a part.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store