tank mate problems

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept the gymogenys clade (most Gymnogeophagus) successfully in a 100gal unheated tank, I do find they work best in harems of multiple females for each male as opposed to pairs (3 females to 1 has been fine for me).

andrewgoalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
annapolis valley ns
Ok thanks for the info im Going to be buying the breeding pair wednesday and just kinda want an idea of what I could put in there so would an asian arowana be ok with themi was thinking about silver in the beginning because its a good start up arowana so ive been told

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Duanes is right. With those type of geos they need a cooling down period. I had one that only lasted 6 months. I kept him in Temps at 78. Then one day, he just died. No marks on him. Just died. Best to keep those type of geos in ideal Temps.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used other Uruguayan cichlids of the genus Australoheros, and Crenicichla, and high altitude Mexican live bearers such as Xenatoca.
Buenos Aires tetras would also be appropriate.
Australoheros sp red ceibal

Crenicichla saxatilus cardozo

Xenatoca eiseni

others not as geographically correct, but could handle cooler waters might be white cloud mountain minnows, rosey barbs, or Macropodus opercularis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store