Painting the back of a tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im going to be painting the back of a tank and was going to go with latex outdoor paint is there a certain finish I should get (flat semi gloss eggshell)
Leaning towards black

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I went black latex gloss spraypaint on my old 125. Couple coats worked like a charm. If its a glass tank with plastic trim, be sure to tape it up very nicely. Or else paint gets up under there and you can see it from inside the tank. It doesnt look the best!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I wont be using spray paint im gonna roll it on.... with the gloss did it cause a glare ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Funny you should start this thread,I used black plasti dip on my 55 a few hours ago.It looks awesome and peels right off if I want to.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Krich I wanted to go with the plastidip but wont be able to my back is jacked up so im having them deliver the tank... wont be able to spray paint it outside and carry it inside. I figured the latex shouldn't be too hard to remove if I need to. Any ideas on what type of finish I should go with

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ah,now I see why you said that you will use a roller rather than a spray,hope you heal up fast.I used the plasti dip on my car wheels earlier and had just enough left for the tank back so I got it done..Sorry but I have no idea which finish would be best.

I plastidipped my tank back as well. But if you're looking for something non aerosol, a roll on finish or a wrap from a company like 3M would be your best bet. Roll on would be easier but would have no turning back. A 3M wrap allows you to change it up if you were to ever need to. The 180g I just bought has a rattle can blue back, and I'm having to remove all the paint to refinish the tank back in black.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Finish doesn't really matter that much, have used all three and difference is negligible. Last week I went to get paint and if he mixer was down so I used the rustoleum(not rattle can) oil based black and it worked great, might be harder to remove but best for painting.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
When you look at it through glass and water, the finish doesn't matter. Rolling it on is the easiest way too.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx krich I had back surgery in dec and it never really healed right

Thanks guys has anyone tried to remove the latex paint ? How much of a pain is it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store