US Native Brackish Fish

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Wondering if there are any US native fish that can go in a brackwater tank that one would be able to find with relative ease (maybe take a few stores) at an LFS. If that's already a yes then let me be more specific, native to the East Coast. If that's still a yes there are then even more specifically, North or South (preferably South) Carolina. I think it'd be cool to set up a US native saltwater tank. I already know my good LFS has a few Hogchokers for sale so I'm thinking about getting one and it'd be cool to set up an entire brack tank for natives IMO.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
Sleeper gobies can sometimes be found with ease. Some panfish venture to low end brackish. Probably harder to buy, but easy to catch, drum, croaker, flounder, sheepshead, mullet, hardhead catfish, gafftopsail catfish, and whiting at higher salinities. Of course trout. Oysters are also a possibility.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Florida Flagfish are colorful live bearers that do well in Brackish.

American Eels are available at most east coast bait and tackle shops. They usually run $1 - $2 apiece, and are active and interesting, but get huge and would require a large tank to house for life.

The Belonsox (Pike Minnow) I have also kept and bred successfully in low brackish conditions. I also quarantine my Bull minnow feeders (Either Mummichog/ banded Killiefish or both) in light to heavy brackish.

They add great color to tanks after quarantine, provide excellent forage, and are much cheaper in bait stores than fathead/ rosie red minnows sold in aquarium stores.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I can't get any fish from bait stores since I don't live on the east coast (I'm near pittsburgh). I might just hold off for a while and do a full native saltwater tank sometime soon.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I've done snooks and trevallys with ease.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
Lol, trying to get them home would be the hard part :)
Lol. I understand that. My sister lives 8 hrs away and she gave me some fish and a 120 gallon if I'd come get them. I bought a power converter, small heater, bubbler, and a bucket I sealed and drilled for the above items. Lol the wife wasn't happy sharing the seat with our new occupants.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store