Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I've got a 125g tank with current stock:

3x ~12" endli
2x ~10" moke
1x ~12" palmas polli
1x ~8" ornate
1x ~15" rope fish

Obviously they will all be getting an upgrade in the future, but that's going to be after I move in the next 6 months.

So here's the question: Would it be advisable to have a school of african butterfly in the tank as well. Filtration is not going to be an issue as I currently have an fx6 on the tank and am going to put another one on in about a month once my pond filter gets cycled. I'm more worried about the endli's thinking they're food. Obviously endli's can get big enough and butterflies can stay small enough that there might be an issue length wise, but will the thickness of the butterfly protect it? Or simply the fact the bichirs won't see it as food?

I had a butterfly in a tank with a FL spotted gar and the gar killed the butterfly, but gar are middle to top swimmers, bichirs are not. Hence why I am posing the question to you all amazing people.

Thanks in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I put 2 senegal growouts with my 3 AFB, but had to remove the bichir's, because sen's became aggressive and started to nip fins.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
I think they might work for a while but the endlis could easily pick them off at night. The chance just increases as they grow. The level the ABF swim at won't really keep them safe. If you want to stick with something African a couple of ctenopomas would probably work. They grow slowly so you'd want to find some larger ones but they are tall enough that they aren't going to fit in anyone's mouth. Lots of people keep them with polys without any problems.

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
I haven't had any issues with my butterfly's and polys, I have a school of 4 butterfly's with my 8-12 inch grow outs of teugelsi and ornates. I have a lot of floating plants in the tank for the butterfly's to hide in also which could be the reason it's been working.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I haven't had any issues with my butterfly's and polys, I have a school of 4 butterfly's with my 8-12 inch grow outs of teugelsi and ornates. I have a lot of floating plants in the tank for the butterfly's to hide in also which could be the reason it's been working.
I have a lot of floaters too, but lower jaw poly's jaws are so much bigger than upper jaw polys which is why the endlis worry me. I've kept senegals with AFB and had no problem. Course senegals are kinda small compared to endlis anyway... :)

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
I have a lot of floaters too, but lower jaw poly's jaws are so much bigger than upper jaw polys which is why the endlis worry me. I've kept senegals with AFB and had no problem. Course senegals are kinda small compared to endlis anyway... :)
Yeah thats a good point. I've got no experience with anything but UJs so far. Kinda forget even though teugelsi and ornates can reach 20" they're mouths would still be smaller than that of the same size endli

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Endlis would make an easy snack out of them no matter the swimming level. It might just take a littler longer with top swimmers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store