Aquarium Safe Paint

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Hello,

I know that Krylon Fusion is aquarium safe, but I'm looking for paints that are safe to put on decorations.

I've read that any acrylic paints are safe, but was wondering if anyone has experience with a specific brand of paint?

I'm looking to paint a DIY tree root system, and would like to be able to paint it with a brush.

Thank you in advance.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Pardon the over saturated pic.

This is the trunk and roots I'm looking to paint. I have some acrylic non-toxic paint coming later this week, but really dont wanna screw up this piece if the paint isnt gonna work.

DSC_1018.JPG

DSC_1018.JPG

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
After it's painted, I would seal it with a few layers clear epoxy resin. My pleco's have sucked the paint off everything I painted with krylon fusion. Lesson learned.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
After it's painted, I would seal it with a few layers clear epoxy resin. My pleco's have sucked the paint off everything I painted with krylon fusion. Lesson learned.
Thanks for the tip, I had planned on sealing it but need to find something that wont add a glossy shine to the finish.

Datmynoid

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2006
Montana
If you can't find a flat look epoxy, use the glossy, but sprinkle sand on it before it cures. That will take the edge off of the shiny appearance.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
The sand would work and also as it ages it will lose some of the glossiness as it gets covered in algae etc

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Thanks for the input guys.

I was able to get some help from DIYFishKeepers.

Apparently this epoxy finish can be used successfully to seal all kinds of things for aquariums:
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/32-ounce-envirotex-lite-pour-on-finish-729723/

And if pure talcum powder is add during the mixing process it will produce a flat clear finish.

This is the piece during the final sanding process, and before painting.

DSC_1025.JPG

DSC_1025.JPG

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
This is a couple iterations of the same piece. I added the grey base coast, and then went over that with the grey blue.

I have 3 different browns that I plan on using to dry brush with, and a couple different greens that I'm gonna use for the vines and moss.

Any feedback is appreciated!

DSC_1054.JPG
DSC_1060.JPG

DSC_1054.JPG

DSC_1060.JPG

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
that piece is looking really good. did you just cut some pvc tube for the base and add spray foam for the branch parts and vines?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store