Raising worms in aquariums

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. A thought just occurred to me, is it possible to raise worms (earthworms, black worms) in an aquarium and give the fish a chance to hunt naturally?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don't know about black worms, but earth worms would not survive very long in aquarium's.I feed earth worms to my bichirs, and have witness them pulling a earth worm out of subtrate when worm tried to bury itself.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
^Right, they can't survive long underwater. If you want aquatic animals that can be bred underwater for food, you might consider snails or shrimp. Just be sure that the shrimp won't make a meal of the fish, or the snails a meal of any live plants. Another solution perhaps is to keep a second, smaller tank, e.g., a 20 gallon, and then raise shrimp / snails there, then cull some each week and toss them into the fish tank. Ready made, live food source that you can dispense as needed.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks guys, I was reading about deep sand beds and that's what got me wondering about keeping something in there that would help with maintenance and provide them with an occasional meal. I do have about a gazillion mts, which I love, but no one seems to eat them or maybe I'm just not noticing.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
My kribensis pair eats MTS. *Necromancy*

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have black worms in one of my tanks. They are fully aquatic and require the same conditions as fish do. The substrate doesn't need to be deep. Mine actually hide from fish under flat stones I have around the tank. They readily feed on fish food and the fish love sifting the sand for worms. However, because of the stones the fish can't get to all of them so the population continues.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store