Beach fishing help

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm headed to Jersey soon and plan on fishing from shore with my father, does anyone have any info they can share as far as baits, rigs, lures etc...? I've freshwater fished for years so I'm familiar with fishing but have no idea what to target, times to fish or what to use. Any help would be much appreciated. For my setup I'm going to buy a longer rod and use a giant old Okuma reel I've kept in my basement. I planned on using at least 60 pound braided line with a short steel leader. Thanks in advance, by the way I'd love to catch a small shark of any kind, any clues as to do that would be awesome. My son would flip out, we've talked about it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Agreed. Where are you going to be fishing? More info and I can give you some specific advise.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
for seafishing bait fishing almost always yield good results , in my opinions, best baits are pieces of oily fish like mackerel, sardines or tuna . using crabs , shrimp ( best live ) , mussels , sea worms etc work almost everywhere . You can also try lure fishing at dawn and dusk using shiny spoons and vibrating cranks .Best to use several rods , one active fishing rod for lure fishing and other rods put into rod holders fishing baits with bite indicators( these can be left overnight) also , I think using circle hooks for passive bait fishing is a good idea .

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
also concerning lures , if you are fishing spoons or jigheads in shallow rocky bottom areas , do not use too expensive ones , they get snagged very easily .

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice buddy. Laid an egg this year, my son treble hooked a crab through its claw and reeled it in, but aside from that were just drowning worms. It's going to be an annual event though, so I'll apply the advice to next years strategy. I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store