Polystyrene inside the Aquarium.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I have polystyrene inside my aquarium under my gravel, because i have very large rocks, i have always done it this way, never had any issues, but when i started my 140g up again it seems that i have gotton some bad polystyrene, so im wanna remove it, but is it safe to have large Texas Holy rock, without anything to protect the glass, how do you guys do it? Im looking and alternative method of protecting the glass.

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Some of the guys I know have massive holey rock pieces in relatively unsupported tanks. They have thick gravel to help disperse the load. They've never had a tank crack but personally I think it's a bit risky.

Sent from my D5322 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Some of the guys I know have massive holey rock pieces in relatively unsupported tanks. They have thick gravel to help disperse the load. They've never had a tank crack but personally I think it's a bit risky.

Sent from my D5322 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Do you use polystyrene inside the tank, under the gravel? I've heard of some people that have it under the tank, not inside.
I'll probaly just have to find some better polystyrene that wont break, and float around.

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Not sure of it's technical name, but plastic egg crating under the substrate can help to distribute the weight of heavier objects, as well as keeping objects from scratching the tank. Comes in 4'x 8' sheets and is easy to cut to fit, and is reasonably priced.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Not sure of it's technical name, but plastic egg crating under the substrate can help to distribute the weight of heavier objects, as well as keeping objects from scratching the tank. Comes in 4'x 8' sheets and is easy to cut to fit, and is reasonably priced.
Dont know if i can get that in Denmark.

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Can you get the under gravel filter plates, same composition? You don't need to hook up the pump to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store