Adding Another Filter

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
I decided to add another filter to may 120 freshwater tank, that will give me two AC110's, a Filstar XP4, and now a Sunsun HW303B with built in UV light. I am getting this mainly for the UV as this tank has always been a little greenish looking thru the long way which is 5 feet. Should have plenty of filtration now!

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
What do you have stocked in the tank? IMO you have a good deal of overkill with all that filtration. You would probably be more than fine with the two 110s. I filter a 6ft 125 w/ two 110s and they handle the job fine.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Dang haha you probably have more filters than fish in that tank. That's awesome though, better to have more than not enough.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Unfortunately the UV won't be good for much more than algae. Not enough watts for the high amount of water passing through.

What do you have stocked in the tank? IMO you have a good deal of overkill with all that filtration. You would probably be more than fine with the two 110s. I filter a 6ft 125 w/ two 110s and they handle the job fine.
Overfiltration is always preferable.

Dang haha you probably have more filters than fish in that tank. That's awesome though, better to have more than not enough.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
More is always better. :)

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately the UV won't be good for much more than algae. Not enough watts for the high amount of water passing through.
I know it is rated a 370gph, but I garentee when it is hooked up it will be under 200gph. I always use a Tom Flow meter on my canister filters so I will let you know exactly the GPH, but my Filstar with three trays of Bio now flows 150 GPH and is rated at 450. It did flow 190 GPH with three trays of sponges when clean. The main reason I got it was for algae anyway, under $70.00 shipped I give it a shot.

Right now there is only two six inch bala sharks, two eight inch Bichar's and two five inch alge eaters, plan on adding fish when the bio has a chance to build some.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
All the filtration in the world does not make up for water changes. Balas can reach 14ins, some bichirs as well. By algae eaters do you mean plecos? Common and Sailfin plecs can reach 18ins easily, and are a huge strain on the bio load and water quality. You are already overstocked, filtration is not a free pass to overload an aquarium.

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
All the filtration in the world does not make up for water changes. Balas can reach 14ins, some bichirs as well. By algae eaters do you mean plecos? Common and Sailfin plecs can reach 18ins easily, and are a huge strain on the bio load and water quality. You are already overstocked, filtration is not a free pass to overload an aquarium.
The algae eaters are Siamese Algae Eaters, max size is 6 inches. These fish have been in this aquarium for years as this tank has been setup since 2008.

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Just got the Sunsun up and running, right now it is flowing 135GPH. For media the bottom tray has one coarse and two fine sunsun pads, the middle tray has two 500 gram boxes of Biomax, and the top tray has two packs of Biomax that came with the ac110's, and one more fine sunsun pad on top of them. It is only there's because they are new and I did not want to take a chance on anything getting in the motor.

For what it is worth, the Filstar is now flowing 170GPH, so we will see if the Sunsun goes up a little after it has been running for a while.

Hopefully with the GPH being what it is on the sunsun the 9 watt UV light will actually work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store