Uruguayan biotope

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am wanted some feedback on my Uruguayan community tank I am planning. My plan was/is to have have one male and several females each of Gymnogeophagus "blue neon" (already have), balzanii, and gymnogenys. I was also was going to have a few Cichlasoma dimerus "Bella Union", Australoheros Oblongum (already have), a school of plateaus corys (already have), and Uruguayan pleco, and some kind of tetra. But now I am running into a few issues.

Unfortunately, the dimerus I was supposed to get were wiped out by some fungus, so the seller could not send them to me. Now I don't know if I'll be able to find any more. In addition the seller (who also sold me the Australaheros oblongum) mentioned that neither the dimerus, or the oblongum would be suitable for an unheated tank. This is not what I have read, but he is the one who has owned them, so what do I know? Does anyone know the natural range of the oblongum? I can't seem to find it out.

So are the oblongum and dimerus suitable for an unheated tank? (If I can find more dimerus! Anyone know someone selling them?) The tank is in my basement, and I think it gets down into the low 60s in winter, but I am not entirely sure.

Does anyone know of a tetra from Uruguay that I would be able to locate? Or a tetra that is similar to a tetra in Uruguay and that can withstand those types of temps? I am not a hardcore biotope person, so I would be willing to substitute a similar non-Uruguayan species for an Uruguayan species, if it will work. E.g. I am also considering putting some Geophagus iporangensis in (technically from far southern Brasil) as a substitute for Geophgus brasiliensis (which lives in Uruguay), because they are smaller and less aggressive.

So thoughts? Thanks!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Dimerus and oblongum are both plenty capable of cooler temps. I've kept both into the lower-60s/upper 50s.

No one knows the origin of A. oblongum in the hobby. It can fit into an Uruguayan community, though.

Just go with Buenos Aires tetras or the like. Bloodfins are a bit small for chanchitos and acaras. Real Uruguayan tetras aren't really available.

I really wouldn't mix a chanchito, an acara and Geo. brasiliensis. They're found different places and, unless it's a big tank, there will be problems.

Matt

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok thanks, good to know! I was kind of planning that I would just end up doing Buenos Aires tetra. I know there is a tetra called "Uruguayan tetra" but as you said I haven't seen them available anywhere.

I am not going to do Geo brasiliensis. I am considering Geo iporangensis, because I they are smaller and less aggressive, and I am getting a trio from duanes. If I don't put them in that tank they will go in my normal SA tank with other types of Geos, Satanaperca, Uaru, Acaras,etc.

It will be a decent sized tank. I was planning to grow them out in one of my 75g and move up from there based on what it seems like they need.

Dimerus and oblongum are both plenty capable of cooler temps. I've kept both into the lower-60s/upper 50s.

No one knows the origin of A. oblongum in the hobby. It can fit into an Uruguayan community, though.

Just go with Buenos Aires tetras or the like. Bloodfins are a bit small for chanchitos and acaras. Real Uruguayan tetras aren't really available.

I really wouldn't mix a chanchito, an acara and Geo. brasiliensis. They're found different places and, unless it's a big tank, there will be problems.

Matt

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm growing out some dimerus "bella union" at the moment, hopefully have them spawning next summer, but I'll see if the breeder (a friend from here in Wisconsin) has any more for you. If he does, I'll try to bring them along when I hit Green Bay, they are only about an inch though.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
That would be awesome! Actually my Austrlaheros Oblongum are only an inch too, and the only Gymnos I have so far (the "blue neons") range from 1.5-2.5 inches. If I end up getting Quilero juveniles from you in the fall they won't be very big either.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
And BTW, I love the pic! I think those big eyes on baby acaras are so cute! I have some tiny Orange Spot Acaras and they have the same huge eyes.

I'm growing out some dimerus "bella union" at the moment, hopefully have them spawning next summer, but I'll see if the breeder (a friend from here in Wisconsin) has any more for you. If he does, I'll try to bring them along when I hit Green Bay, they are only about an inch though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of the time when I use the macro ring pics are blurry (old man shake I guess), but got lucky with that one.
Here they are with the normal lens, I have the dimerus growing out with fish from Matt, Jon and Bat fish from the box swap the Milwaukee Aquarium Society had with the Capital Cichlid Club.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store