Using slate tiles instead of bare bottom.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
As the title states I'm wanting to use slate tiles instead of just bare bottom tank. Do I need to do anything to them before putting them in the tank besides rinsing them?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Good to go after a rinse. Just realize that detritus will accumulate in any gaps you leave between tiles, vacuum under them regularly. There's not really an advantage over bare bottom this way, other than aesthetics.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Friend of mine siliconed his tiles in and filled all the gaps so nothing would get trapped but one of the seals didn't hold. The gas release killed one of his fish so beware of this and keep them clean underneath.

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
If really hate mirror look of the glass then I would recommend a vinyl sticker or paint the bottom glass to a color you like but keep it bare.

Sent from my XT1033 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
If really hate mirror look of the glass then I would recommend a vinyl sticker or paint the bottom glass to a color you like but keep it bare.

Sent from my XT1033 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
wishing now I painted the bottom flat black before I set it up. There is no way too do so now, 300g glass is not something I can move by myself.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
if your tank has a perfectly flat bottom virtually nothing will gather under them, ive lifted mine three times and its been pointless as nothing worth worrying about had gathered.. the gap under a flat tile will be very minimal and hold less crud than the cleanest gravel would still contain after a thorough vacuum imo...

bare bottom is ugly, no question ive been using slate for years...

[video=youtube;sqTU4bol-xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTU4bol-xs&list=UUNv_DRjQHA11jNZijmQzrmg[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store