male/female aggression...

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
a lot of people lose females to aggressive males. does this happen in the wild or is it a byproduct of the aquarium?

just curious. i would think its a byproduct of the aquarium. if a female was really feeling threatened she has lot of room to escape. and maybe the males have to learn how to not be so aggressive to retain a females. or does that go beyond their intelligence. they learn and adjust from failed batched of eggs why not not from being too rough with the ladies?

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
a lot of people lose females to aggressive males. does this happen in the wild or is it a byproduct of the aquarium?
I think the deaths are aquarium related. In the wild a female would have ample room to flee

Sent from my VS840 4G

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may have seen this , but check out the female uropthalmus (dark mark in the dorsal, and sub dom males for that matter) in my video of Eden Cenote in Mexico.
The dominant males were almost always in caves and only seen when they came out to feed or attack. If a female wasn't receptive she was driven out. Most females and sub dominant males are in large shoals in the open, with plenty of room to escape.
Even most large aquariums are mere puddles compared to normal habitat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3v0VJTg5c

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
so big males hang out in caves they built.
and smaller males and females hang out in a group until they pair off and go do thier thing.
or one of big males scores one of the females in the group when they pass by his cave. then if she doesnt lay eggs soon he kicks her out? then repeats.

is this common behavoir in most cichlids? amphs, oscars.. the common ones.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The caves in the cenotes seem to be mostly naturally occurring, with some bit of renovation.
Seems to me females avoid the big males until ready, then the females choose, there's a little sparring and it either clicks, or doesn't.
I believe only the most fit males live to breed.
I have never snorkeled in waters with Oscars, or other Amphs, but I have with Jack Dempseys. The JDs seem to guard an area of about 4' X 4' X 4' (@ 250 gallons) and drive any other cichlids out. Almost all breeding JDs I saw, had wounded, fungus covered jaws and lips from sparring with females, or other males. Check out the large area the mated pair are defending at just over a minute in the video below (its over 5ft deep).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OVy3JKxcw
and below, the fungus covered jaws on the dominant male below defending a cave.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
aw very interesting duanes! kinda off topic but from what youve seen do you think a group of female convicts in say a 75 might school together or female salvini.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store