RTC gill curl

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I've got a baby red tail. Currently about 5" in a 135g grow out with a 11" rtc/tsn hybrid, 2x 10" leopard sailfin plecos and a 12" FL spotted gar. Filtration is a 50g sump with 1800gph pump. Black diamond sand substrate, minimal plants and decorations including a hidey hole log.

So I noticed a couple days ago one of his gills is starting to curl. Some quick research showed half say it's a common deformity, half say it's a health problem. Which is it? What can I do to fix it if it is a health risk. If its purely cosmetic I can deal with it, but I want him to be healthy so he can grow big and strong and eat me. :p

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
:)

It's either inherited, they say, or a symptom of inadequate water quality. What are your water parameters and how are they measured and is there adequate aeration? With 1800 gph I'd imagine it should be.

It is not a serious health risk. Most usually, my reading says it appears to bear little to no effect on fish's health and longevity, albeit the data are scarce and hard to interpret.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I've got 2 air stones in there on top of having 2 of the output nozzles agitating the water surface, so aeration is definitely not a problem.

I check water parameters usually once a week using API master test kit. Last test showed ph around 6.8, ammonia and nitrite at 0. I usually don't ever bother testing nitrates but once a month because I have live plants and keep up with regular 40% weekly water changes so unless I start seeing algae, I know my nitrates are at least below 60 if not lower. Plus I'm less worried about them because they are MUCH less harmful. (duh)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sounds like you are on top of things. Did you get it with the gill curl? Sounds like it should right itself anyway, unless it is def. inherited.

Some people massage it or cut it off and a new one grows back correctly. I'd not do it. It's a torture to the fish. People underestimate the brutal power of the right water and care. 99.9% of fish overcome all (non-genetic) problems when "treated" like that.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
He definitely didn't come with it. I'm most certainly not going to trim his gill! Who would do that!?
***Search YouTube and you will see who :)

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully he'll get better eventually. It's hard to track the healing seeing as he hides in his log all day. :)
***In a few inches, he won't need a hide, but surely he comes out for food, right?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't think so.

RTC will come out for food day or night, rain or shine. They are a cute stomach, is all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store