Altolamprologus compressiceps

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've never kept any african cichlid before but I'm soon setting up another 20 tall (24" x 12" x 16") and I have tons of ideas for stock so I want to address most of them. A compressiceps is probably my favorite Tanganyikan cichlid and in my top 5 african cichlids. I was wondering if a tank this size could successfully house a pair and could I breed them in a tank this size? I'm not sure if they care for their fry or not but I'd love to raise them either now or in the near future. So could a pair work in a 20 tall?

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
They can be successfully kept and bred as a pair in a 20g tank, if you add more females additional space and territories will need to be set up. Remember to keep the water changes to about 20-25% twice weekly as water quality is extremely important. If you want to breed them a large shell works great.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
once they breed you're gonna need newly hatched brine shrimp as the fry are very tiny. Size of a pin head. I lost all my fry cause they were too tiny to eat brine shrimp. I tried powdered food also with no luck. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store