Based on these readings will my l24, l137, corydoras, and geophagus survive
Ph 6.4
Fluoride .4 mg/l
Chloride 69 mg/l
Copper .13 mg/l
Sulfate 15 mg/l
Calcium 29 mg/l
Hardness 84 mg/l
I always put api stress coat after water changes to treat the water, and run carbon in the filters. These readings are from the well water at the house we bought. Any help would be great. I'm trying to avoid installing a RO system.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You know, your fish might be better off without the carbon. And since it's well water, you won't need a conditioner.

What's the nitrate and phosphate reading?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ericbarber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
USA
Nitrate was none detected I don't see a phosphate. I was worried that the sulfate and sodium would effect the fish

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Wow bro I think you're over thinking this...look for zero ammonia and nitrites, keep nitrates low with weekly water changes, don't overfeed..your fish will be fine..I haven't tested any of the things your testing for in 30 years of fish keeping and things are fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ericbarber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
USA
Wow bro I think you're over thinking this...look for zero ammonia and nitrites, keep nitrates low with weekly water changes, don't overfeed..your fish will be fine..I haven't tested any of the things your testing for in 30 years of fish keeping and things are fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The only reason I'm asking because this test came back in our inspection report so I figure it was worth it to ask. I didn't test it just for the fish I just don't want the fish to not be able to survive in these water conditions

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Harleyk, since there isn't any chlorine, no need to add a water conditioner, or carbon for that matter, unless the carbon is to reduce certain odors.
Seems your water is a bit soft, and may have a low alkalinity due to a low calcium content, you may find it necessary to do more frequent water changes to keep pH from dropping due to normal metabolism byproducts.
The copper is a bit higher than normal, but are you sure the reading is not in ug/L as opposed to mg/L?
If it is right, its the kind of reading that will help deter many of the microscopic disease causing organisms that parasitize fish.
Back in the old days, (when penny's were made of copper), people would drop a penny in a tank to cure problems like ich.
Some fish do have a sensitivity to copper, so you may want to check if any of yours are, and if so, there are copper removing agents available.

Ericbarber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
USA
Units are in mg/l I know the plecos I have are found in a ph of 6.0-7.4 so it seems I'm ok there. Guess I'll have to watch the fish to see if they get stressed out after I move them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store