Questions about Cherry Shrimp.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I have some questions about Cherry Shrimp. I have an empty 29g tank, and i would like to breed Cherry Shrimp in there, as feeders for my Frontosa, so i would like some general information about them, i might have some more specific questions later.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've never kept them but have good friends who have and shared their experience with me. Seems like you put 10 (or in your case 15 or 20 with such a large tank) in a decently planted tank and they'll breed like rabbits for you. From my knowledge anyway.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I've never kept them but have good friends who have and shared their experience with me. Seems like you put 10 (or in your case 15 or 20 with such a large tank) in a decently planted tank and they'll breed like rabbits for you. From my knowledge anyway.
Thanks, i've heard Corydoras are good tankmates, the shrimp fry should be around 1 - 3mm so im thinking Corydoras will eat that, right?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Do you guys think the shrimp, or shrimp fry would be sucked into the filter, and of that is the case, could i but some aquarium net, o th holes.

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

uploadfromtaptalk1405436745289.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405436768856.jpg

verbal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Reston, VA
Planting the tank and using a sponge filter seem like the keys to a thriving colony. You can try them with cories, the adults should be fine with them and enough shrimp babies will be able to hide. If the colony grows slower than you would like, you may try a shrimp only tank.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Planting the tank and using a sponge filter seem like the keys to a thriving colony. You can try them with cories, the adults should be fine with them and enough shrimp babies will be able to hide. If the colony grows slower than you would like, you may try a shrimp only tank.
Would that filter suck the shrimp in, and could i put some aquarium net, over the places that would suck the shrimp in?

tch225

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2011
Singapore
Would that filter suck the shrimp in, and could i put some aquarium net, over the places that would suck the shrimp in?
Yes that filter will suck in shrimps especially shrimplet, putting aquarium net over the places that would suck in the shrimps will help.
but will be very troublesome for you to do maintenance.

Xray_chic

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
California
I put a large piece of filter sponge over the intake. Just cut a deep slit in one end and slip it on. It's easy to remove, clean, and replace.
+1 for lots of plants.
If you want Cory cats, there is a dwarf species that work really well and they don't bother the shrimp. They are usually available online. azgardens had them last time I checked. It's best to get at least 5.
Drip acclimate your shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

powerbook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Del Mar, CA
I also put thin sponge pad over the intake to prevent accidental suction.....Still some shrimps end up in the HOB filter pad (not dead but living there... a lot of stuffs to eat).
I switched to canister filter recently... I haven't seen them yet inside the filter.
For cory catfish, I have 3 three striped corys and 3 peppered cory.. they don't actively hunt shrimps but baby shrimps can accidentally sucked into their mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store