Bad weekend

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Family and I went away for a long weekend; left saturdy morning and returned early evening yesterday. It seems the return pump on my tank tripped the GFCI. I ended up losing 2 of my hystrix and 3 geos:( The 2 hystrix we pups from my female, one from her first litter and the other from her last litter. Got home last night and went to check on the fishes and found a dark tank filled with stinky water. I have no idea how long the system was down. We had a fellow check on the fish periodically over the weekend and he said all was well sunday afternoon. It must have tripped soon after that, and it was hot in the house this weekend. It sucks! My big female and her mate were breathing really hard when I found them. The other 2 rays and geos were long gone. I've done some water changes since, and the 2 rays are doing better. I checked the ammonia level in the tank and it was barely detectable. Nitrite was 0.25 mg/l though. I did another water change this morning and the ammonia was zero and nitrite was back to zero. Hopefully the pair won't suffer any long term effects. Was a good weekend until I got home...

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Me to, sorry to hear that.
I leave tonight on vacation til Sunday.
I'm always afraid to leave.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Thanks. I hope the remaining two are ok. This was my first (and hopefully last) major ray catastrophe. New pump has been ordered.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Very sorry to hear

Better get that web cam hooked up. My wife couldnt get me to go on vacation before i got the web cams

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I was talking to the guys at work today about a web cam. May have to look into it.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
That is bad news mate sorry to hear. We do all we can to ensure our rays are healthy and the one time you take a break from it is the one time things go wrong, it's not fair and damn bad luck. Why couldn't the pump trip when you were at home?! Fate can be a bad enemy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store