Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Can you say why u think that.its being sold as pseudoplatystoma tigrinum but it does have spots on side and a few white stripes which made me beleive it to be fasiatum

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tigrinum normally should not have "Y"s in its pattern. That's a fasciatum trait.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
O.p. can u get some pics with better lighting? And or better shots of the head? Too dark to really tell...pattern can be pretty much irrelevant to determine species for a juvi since they morph so much as they grow. Head shape and color can help tho. P. Tigrinum and P. Recticulatum are usually a darker brown and have a longer "bill" than P. Faciatum. Juvi patterns can be so similiar between species u wouldnt be able to tell them apart unless u had one of each species in the same tank to study. Takes a very good eye to see the slight differences at first. Anway....better pics will help me help u lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My gut tells me its P. Recticulatum....some better pics will help sway my decision. I will tell you i got my P. Tigrinum by accident for free and it took me atleast 4yrs to figure out what i had as its pattern changed over the years. P. Tigrinum is the hardest tsn to aquire next to p. Corruscans so its pretty unlikely but possible.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Cant get any more pics now as i didnt purchase it cos i doubted it was tigrinum. The catfish is 20 inches.ive read that tigrinum dont have any spots on the head or body where this one did.think i will try wharf aquatics to get hold of one for me.many thanks for replies

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Wednesday13 would it be possible to see some pics of your tigrinum and any old pics with sizes listed would be greatly appreciated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store