Me and my Bichirs - Intro!

Nivvy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2014
Louisiana
Hi, I'm new to the forum! I joined just to make sure I have a good community to go to to make sure my fish are happy and healthy! I recently bought some little bichir eels from petsmart. They're only $7. I was surprised b/c other fish stores had the senegals for $20. Ornates for $60.

Anyway, I'm absolutely in love with these fish. I just don't see why any freshwater tank hobbyist wouldn't have bichirs! They're like little water dragons. I hope one day they'll become HUGE. (Right now I have a 29 gal, so eventually I'll upgrade to something much larger.) :)
I present to you, Nessi and Gyarados: ( yes, I adore Pokemon, and I'm an adult :Pikachu:)

bichirs33.jpg

bichirs33.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Senegal bichir are one of smallest upper jawed species of polypterus, cb Senegal normally exceed maybe 9 to 10 inches, although there been some recorded larger.

Nivvy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2014
Louisiana
Senegal bichir are one of smallest upper jawed species of polypterus, cb Senegal normally exceed maybe 9 to 10 inches, although there been some recorded larger.
Yep :) I was talking to a previous biology professor and he had said they get huge in the wild. It would take a mighty big tank to simulate that though. Maybe not in depth, but length-wise.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Nivvy when ever you have time click on forum Ancient fish, and you will you will learn so much from other member's you have tons of experience with this jurrassic fish.:)

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Nice fish, they are so cute when they are small. It is not only the amount of room that they have in the wild, but also the genes of wild senegals is better then WC, and due to bad genetics captive breed fish will never reach the same size as wild caught ones.

Good job catching the bichir bug though, I started with two senegalus's to, now I have over 10. :p

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
ood for you! i started out with one sen and now have 4 sens and endli ansorgii and a lap. its addicting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store