Experiences with Algae Fix?

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Hello :)

I have a 10 gallon low tech planted tank that has been recently attacked by spiro hair algae. I had gone on vacation, and something had knocked the stand pretty good, and a piece of driftwood crushed my Red Claw Macro shrimp, which caused a pretty good spike of ammonia. I had a cloud of spiro that was taking up about 50% of the tank when I arrived home. I took as much out, and soaked most of my willow moss covered driftwood in H2O2, but I missed some, and it has pretty much taken over my tank again.

I've heard that Algaefix will help to kill all of the spiro, and since my spiro growth was from an ammonia spike, it should theoretically just "go away" forever. I've never really used Algaefix, mostly full tank H2O2 treatments, and also Excel, but the spiro just laughed at me, but would like to know if I would be better off removing the 2 neons I have in there right now. I still have my quarantine tank running from when I picked up a batch of 4 neons to add to my lone NTD survivor, and was wondering if they'd be better off in that tank vs. being in the tank with Algaefix.

Current tank stats:
Tank: Aqueon 10 gallon
Lights: 2 13 Watt 6500K CFLs
Filter: AC 30, packed with Marineland's filter pads (the big one you buy and cut), the Aquaclear sponge, and Purigen
Plants: Willow Moss, Anubias Nana Petite, and an Anubias Nana
Fauna: a boat load of hitchhiker Bladder snails, some hydra-which I would love if Algaefix killed, and 2 neons

I plan to recharge the Purigen while the Algaefix treatment is going, but also plan to pick up some carbon to help get the rest of the meds out of the water, as Tiger shrimp will be calling this tank home once the Spiro is gone and the neons are back in my other tank.

What are your experiences with Algae Fix? Remove fish or leave them in?

I'm normally not one to resort to chemicals, but this has plagued my Koi Pond at the beginning of the spring (assuming it's an ammonia spike from the filters turning on for the first time), and the only way to get rid of it, is to drain the pond, and bring out the Clorox.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Dont use any algae fix. In my experience they do more harm than good. The ones that actually work has a warning on the back that states "may cause cancer from reports from califorina" or something. They are a copper base product and honestly a well balanced aquarium doesn't need any algae fix. I would recharge the purgien as you mentioned and do a couple large water changes. The lights are on too long or your nitrates your through the roof.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store