F.A.O Aquaman

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Richard. You were saying the other day that it looks like the Pearl must have been gotten by the male judging by the pics i posted of her. Quite possibly she has as he is pretty much leaving her alone now and she has healed very quickly. But here is a pic of the female BD taken yesterday, a day or so after the possible sperm plug was found in the tank. She is pretty beaten up so i think she has been mated as well. Guess we will have to wait and see who is right mate!!

Photo0151.jpgPhoto0152.jpg

Here is the Pearl healed up yesterday. Crappy pics taken with my phone.

Photo0153.jpg

Photo0151.jpg

Photo0152.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Fingers crossed for you Jim......hopefully they have both been mated.

The trouble with looking for sperm plugs is that in many cases the rays actually eat them as soon as they are expelled. Small white fragments can sometimes be seen in the water the next day or indeed soon after copulation, this is also a very good sign that something has happened.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I'm not happy though mate. She not eating and the male only eating a little. All other rays ok and acting ,eating normal. Plus I just noticed the tin foil barbs taking bites from her disk at the damaged area. I have just put a divider in and separated but not the best divider, just hope it holds out until I can make something better. Also done a water check tonight and nitrates out of whack. Weird given I do 2 big water changes a day. Changed the HMA filter cartridges tonight and increased flow. Leave the water changer on for a few more hours a day and get the nitrates back down. Must admit I been feeding heavy recently as the rays seemed to want more food. Also ordered some compost worms to make sure she eats at the week end if she still off her food. Worse than being a parent mate!!!
Fingers crossed for you Jim......hopefully they have both been mated.

The trouble with looking for sperm plugs is that in many cases the rays actually eat them as soon as they are expelled. Small white fragments can sometimes be seen in the water the next day or indeed soon after copulation, this is also a very good sign that something has happened.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I'm not happy though mate. She not eating and the male only eating a little. All other rays ok and acting ,eating normal. Plus I just noticed the tin foil barbs taking bites from her disk at the damaged area. I have just put a divider in and separated but not the best divider, just hope it holds out until I can make something better. Also done a water check tonight and nitrates out of whack. Weird given I do 2 big water changes a day. Changed the HMA filter cartridges tonight and increased flow. Leave the water changer on for a few more hours a day and get the nitrates back down. Must admit I been feeding heavy recently as the rays seemed to want more food. Also ordered some compost worms to make sure she eats at the week end if she still off her food. Worse than being a parent mate!!!
Sounds like you got caught out with the extra food to water change ratio Jim....we all do it from time to time. Stop feeding for 3 to 4 days, your rays have a lot of reserve body weight so it won't be a problem. This will enable the water quality to improve, once it has you will know, they will start pounding the substrate once more in search of food.
The Tinfoils are attracted to anything that appears bright like exposed white flesh, once it has healed they will lose interest. You have done right sectioning them off, constant harassment from such fish can be very stressful .

All the best.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Okay Richard, will do. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. She hates it behind the divider and the male is constantly trying to get to her. I would not b surprised if the divider is down by the time i get home tonight. If it is i will put it back up and put the tinfoils in the section and leave all rays together. I have put some tinfoil and tiger fish up for sale to reduce the bioload going forward.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Jim my barbs used to do this I think it's a good thing as it seams to be they are cleaning the bites not making them worse

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Richard, that's an interesting thought. I am concerned about her not eating though so won't do any harm giving her a break for a few days. Want to make sure i get the nitrates in check and she feeding again before letting her loose. Thanks for the info though.
Jim my barbs used to do this I think it's a good thing as it seams to be they are cleaning the bites not making them worse

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So I checked the water again tonight. Nitrates down a little. Then checked nitrates out the tap and they are double what they normally are. I'm stumped now. Don't know what to do. Have emailed water company to ask if they know of any changes. Either that or my test kit off. But use by date on bottles is 2017.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
I no jim we r a good distance apart but iv had exact same on my water last week, first female stopped eating over night which I thought was due to him hassling her but next day male stopped, checked water and mine was like yours nites had shot up which was odd as I had done big wc night before, over the next fews days I did lots of smaller wc plus prime every time, took 4-5 days but water is back on track spot on and the rays are smashing the food again. Im not sure weather the heat could mess with the water coming from the local water company (heat resulting in less oxygen) im not sure. Hope yours is back on track soon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store