Left Coasters: MONITOR YOUR WATER

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
This is a reminder to keep close tabs on the status of your municipal water supplies. Anyone receiving water from reservoirs close to wildfire areas needs to frequently check their tap water prior to using the water in any aquariums. There are a number of nasty chemicals that can leech into municipal waters that can either cause immediate damage to your fish or build up over time to cause neurological and physiological damage.

I lost 80% of my fish, in San Diego, after wildfires started between SD and Alpine. The fire retardant that was used contained cyanide. The Water District said the levels were tested in terrestrial species and found to be within gov't guidelines. No tests were conducted on local aquatic species so no alerts were sent out. I've since gone to a 5-stage full house filtration system.

What you can do to prevent fish losses:

-Test your water regularly and especially prior to water changes.
-Consider installing a whole home multi-stage water filtration system.
-Keep cases of bottled spring water handy for water changes during wildfire season.
-Employ cisterns to store rainwater (from a metal roof is preferred over shingles).

Here are results from a municipal water test conducted in southern california:

fire.JPG

fire.JPG

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Most chain hardware stores (HomeDepot, etc.) carry basic home water test kits. They run about $20 and you have the choice of a municipal water test kit or a well water test kit.

ws.JPG

The basic home kits don't test for cyanide. However, you can save alot of money by buying a cyanide-specific test kit instead of upgrading the basic home kit to an advanced or master kit.

cyan.JPG

ws.JPG

cyan.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I picked one up a couple of months ago to test my tap water to make sure there were no funky additions made for the change of seasons. I test once a month now they are very useful. Great thread and post Phil.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A copper level of 1.5ppm is considered as a safe level for most fish. However, ph and temperature are big factors in how copper can effect fish. Inverts, copper-sensitive fish species, and many plants are sensitive to copper levels above 0.05ppm.

If experiencing issues with copper in a particular species, the use of a product like CupriSorb can be employed to reduce the system's copper level.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Thanks oddball. The fish being affected currently are all of my bichirs. Some completely stopped eating and have been for a while now and others are eating very little. I will try to find that stuff you mentioned

Edit: also the pH is at 7 and temp ranges between 82-84F

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
In all municipalities where copper piping is largely employed the copper levels can vary throughout the year due to copper leaching increasing along with temperature increases.

In areas with acidic water, the leaching of copper from piping is constant due to continuous contact of copper to water. Again, the level of leaching is dependent on temperature.

In areas with alkaline water, minerals (limestone) continually build up inside copper piping and eventually prevent copper leaching due to isolating contact between copper and water.

We've seen cases on this site where people have experienced copper-related issues in their aquariums after either replacing their clogged copper piping or relocated to a new construction home. These cases used the same municiple water sources. What changed was the age of their copper piping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store