Parasite treatment safe for mormyrids

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a school of Elephantnose fish that I have had for about two months, that I want to treat for parasites. I have already treated them for hex/spin using epsom salt soaked food, which may have helped, but I still had two that wasted away, similar to how loaches do sometimes. I want to treat the rest with something more, because there are a couple that still look sort of skinny, even though other ones are extremely fat, and they are eating well and have no competition for food. But I have hesitated so far because I know ENs can be sensitive to meds, and I don't really know what would be safe for them. I have PraziPro, API General Cure, and Levamisole. Which one would be best to start with, and are any of them not safe for mormyrids? Also, right now they are in a tank that has a colony of cherry shrimp, so I would have to wait to treat if any of these affect invertebrates.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My advise would be to treat these fish in a seperate tank or container using Prazi or remove the shrimp if possibile to another container if treating the main tank to be on the safe side. The fish can be given a 30 min bath in a container of tank water with a full does of Prazi once a day for 5 days. Prazi is mild but effective, start with that.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
The problem is that Prazi has never worked for my loaches with wasting disease, so I wonder if it would work for this, since they seem to have identical symptoms... so Prazi is definitely not safe for the shrimp? I dont really so much care about them, but a massive die off would be bad because there are hundreds in there.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would start with the Prazi I don't have shromp so I would rather error on the side of caution as I suggested above. Wasting disease is another story all to gether not just a case of IPs. Wasting disease needs treatment in a hospital tank with Kanamycin along with the addition of vitamins C and B6 a vitamin block in the filter works for this. It is very diffacult to cure succesfully. I doubt this is the case but it's possibile, I would start with the Prazi or even the GC first.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Have you ever successfully treated wasting disease? I'd love to know the process you used. I have a lot of loaches, and in every batch I bet a third of them end up with wasting and eventually don't make. Haven't yet figured out anything that works, though I have always read Levamisole does, I just never had access to it before now, so I haven't had a chance to try it out. That's why I was wondering if Levamisole would be a better option.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have never had to treat for it so I have no first hand info to share. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store