Lionfish in fresh water?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I used to keep lions and think they are just awesome fish. I have really been interested in this invasive fish since they are thriving of the coast off Long Island which most people thought was to cold and they would die off after summer.

This article a girl has found Lionfish in brackish water and lowered the salinity to fresh water. I am guessing maybe it is like the GReen Spotted puffer and can handle a few months of FW but then need brackish. I just found it interesting and wonder what others thoughts are.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-invasive-lionfish-can-survive-in-freshwater-

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
yeah maybe but with the cost of lionfish and the size tank they need hopefully that will deter people.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cool,if I lived near where I could catch lion fish I would try keeping one in brackish or freshwater.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Cool article and id be curious as to how long they can survive in freshwater. Also clicked on a random vid on that site and almost saw a man get eaten by a stingray so that was cool

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That is very bad news. That means more restrictions and state bans on the lionfish. We know what happened to the snakeheads.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That is very bad news. That means more restrictions and state bans on the lionfish. We know what happened to the snakeheads.
This is true and it would be very sad but they are becoming an uncontrollable nuisance for local ecosystems.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Would love to know the desalinization process...

How much a day, a week?

I know of several big ones in here and i would be willing to try this....

But will they make it, comfortably, at 0 salinity?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Thanks for sharing that I have many more questions myself like how long did it take to bring the salinity down and how long has the fish lived in FW.

I love in the interview it says the PHD scientist are taking over this little girls research. She should be very proud of herself. Ans if she got 3rd place I wonder what 1st and 2nd place were.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store