My 100g is leaking

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Drain and fix properly. Cure time for aquariums is longer than the 24hrs stated on the tube. 3-4 days minimum. New sil wont adhere properly to old, scrape the bad area down to bare glass.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
to me it depends on the seem if it is higher up in the tank then yes just scrap bad area to glass if it is lower then reseal the entire tank

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Removing silicon down to the glass and resealing will not fix it, the outer seam (the one in the corner) is not the one holding the tank together and preventing leaks, it is the silicon between the two panes. This one has gone bad and has the gap. Putting more silicone over it wont solve the issue. Sure, may hold for a few days or even months, eventually the whole seam will split however. Obviously 100 gallons on your floor is not a good thing

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; You likely have already done this, but if not, do some checking to be sure it is the tank leaking. I have had several times found what at first seemed to be a tank leak turn out to be something else.

As others have stated I do not know of a way to fix a leaking tank without emptying it out and doing a reseal.

Hello; This is an old post about sealing a tank with silicone. Resealing a tank can be a chore and may not work the first time, but if you get a good seal it should last for years.
I have found that trying to run a line of silicone only on a portion of a tank has often not worked out very well. If a tank leaks, I have found it best to reseal all the inside seams at the same time.
-(In my experience the silicone needs to be applied in all corners and sides while it is still tacky so that it will bond to itself at the apex of each side.)
-(New silicone does not always bond to old silicone very well)(Some have posted that it will stick better to the old if the old is well cleaned, I have yet to test this myself.)

I cut out the existing silicone with a utility knife from all seams before trying to seal with new stuff. A shop vacuum is a handy way to remove the bits of silicone. If the first application of new silicone does not seal the leak, I cut out all the silicone that I have just applied and seal the whole thing again.

The silicone tubes that fit in a caulking gun are the handy way to apply silicone. The tubes of silicone that you squeeze with your fingers are just too hard for me to control and I have not tried to use them in years. You can plug the end of a big tube of silicone with a nail or something round to keep it from curing too quickly, as you may need it again.
-(Note – When you cut the end of a silicone tube, make the first cut near the end so as to have a small opening. You can always cutoff a little bit more if the bead of silicone is too small.)
Some additional pointers:
I usually give a tank a good cleaning before applying the new silicone. I use a paste made from ordinary table salt (Without iodine) and a soft sponge.
-(I do not use a sponge or cloth that has been used with soap or chemicals.)
-(I have buckets and sponges that are used only for my tanks.)
The salt paste does not scratch glass and does a fair job at removing the deposits from the surface of the glass (be sure the sponge or cloth used to apply the paste with is not coarse enough to scratch the glass on its own and watch for bits of gravel that seem to jump into the salt paste.) (Letting the salt paste dry to a haze should desiccate most critters if you want to disinfect a diseased tank.)(Note- wetting the glass will soften up the deposits somewhat.) Rinse the salt paste out and let the tank dry well.

For stubborn mineral deposits, a razor blade in a holder that gives a firm grip is useful. Use a shallow angle on the blade and keep an eye on the corners of the blade. The corners sometimes get bent and will scratch a thin line. A bit of vinegar can help soften some deposits.
Once the tank is clean, I think it needs to be very dry before applying a bead of new silicone. Dampness tends to hide in the very small seams and in the corners of a tank. I suspect that dampness prevents the silicone from bonding properly to a surface and may result in a leak in a good looking seam. It can take a while for the moisture to dry out of the small seams. A light hanging inside an empty tank can help to dry it out.
Note- This is not real critical, but try to have the tank in a place where it can sit for a day once the silicone has been applied, so you do not have to move it until the stuff can cure some. Silicone labels often say that it will cure enough in two days to add water. (While I have gotten away with around a two day cure with thin beads in small tanks it has not always worked. It seems prudent to wait a few more days to be sure. Some experienced people have suggested seven days for a full cure.) Thicker beads of silicone in large tanks will likely take the additional time to cure. Silicone will skin over and harden from the outside in. Push on a thick part of a bead with your finger to see if it feels firm and solid.
If you manage to lay down a decent bead of silicone try to resist poking/rubbing at it in an attempt to smooth out a bump or irregular spot. I usually only try to smooth out the glob where the corners meet at an apex. You may get away with wetting your finger tip lightly with water and gently touch it. (Water on the outside of a joint should not cause a problem if you use just enough to dampen the tip of the finger and not enough to drip off.)(Does it sound like fun yet?). You will want several paper towels or cloths handy to keep the silicone wiped from your fingers. It will get on everything if you don’t and it is a real pain to clean off. If you use a cloth to wipe silicone the stuff from your fingers, it does not come out. So do not use a favorite towel.
If you happen to mess up and need to clean up a smear,( and find that the more you wipe it, the more it smears.) it may be easier to let the silicone set up for a day or two so that it is no longer gooey. It can then be rubbed off with a cloth or your fingers or perhaps scraped off with a razor.
I try to test the tank in a place where a leak or having to empty the tank will not be a problem. I also allow a resealed tank to sit full of water for a few days to be sure the tank does not leak before moving it into the house. This may not be wise or practical with a large tank as moving may open up a seam. Good luck with whatever procedure you decide to use.

zhabba

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Saskatoon
I believe it would be best to take tank apart scrape all the old silicone off and reseal with quality silicone but be careful to get the right silicone some may releae toxins into the water months after sealed and cured then watch the water parameters and the seal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store