Are ghost shrimp safe for my African cichlid to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Now, I'm aware that the mbuna diet primarily consists of algae. The ghost shrimp are intended as an occasional treat to be given once every month. Anyway, to get back to the matter at hand, is it safe for my Red Zebra to snack on ghost shrimp from time to time? Someone on YA claimed that it's dangerous to feed ghost shrimp to your mbuna, but I thought I'd verify the accuracy of this statement with the more experienced mbuna keepers here. Thanks a lot.

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
Now, I'm aware that the mbuna diet primarily consists of algae. The ghost shrimp are intended as an occasional treat to be given once every month. Anyway, to get back to the matter at hand, is it safe for my Red Zebra to snack on ghost shrimp from time to time? Someone on YA claimed that it's dangerous to feed ghost shrimp to your mbuna, but I thought I'd verify the accuracy of this statement with the more experienced mbuna keepers here. Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't feed anything live to mbuna, even once in awhile. You still run the risk of bloat.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
There is not a fish out there that won't eat food that will fit in there mouth. Your mbuna's will be fine as they eat other baby fish in the wild way more than your monthly treat. Even Tropheus would be fine with this treat and a regular diet of veggie flakes or pellets.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Should be OK, but messy, since mbunas would have to rip ghost shrimp apart to eat them. Just ensure the ghost shrimp aren't carrying horse-hair parasitic worms. You may be better off seeding your tank with gammarus shrimp. They're small enough to be eaten whole by most mbunas and they're great detritus feeders.

ghostwH-Hparasite.jpg

Ghost shrimp with parasite

gammarus.jpg

Gammarus (scud) shrimp

ghostwH-Hparasite.jpg

gammarus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store