New tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just ordered a 150 gal and am trying to think ahead. I think the area is pretty level but wanted some opinions on how you guys level large tanks. My back is screwed up so the guys at the lfs are gonna help me get it in place and on the stand (wood cabinet) the lfs manager said that he doesnt shim or anything unless it is really really off. But I thought a large tank needed to be pretty much spot on levelled? The tank is going in my living room on an outside wall and the floor is hardwood. I have contactor grade shims on hand incase they are needed.
So how would you guys handle this

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
How have you leveled tanks in the past ?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
as long as the stand is rigid enough not to flex, then shimming isn't really necessary. but if the stand flexes over the years you'll have a problem. better to just shim it now.
regular wood shims will work, but I cut a custom one to fit and stained it to match the stand.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Tanks above 55 gal I recommend to ALWAYS shim and make sure its level front to back and side to side. The undistributed force or uneven force on the silicone seals is what cause tanks to bow leading to leakage. I remember a member on here with a 150 that was complaining that his 150 tall blew twice after resealing and surly enough the back of the tank was off by 1/2 inch and both times it blew it was the back seal. Shimmed it and never had a problem.

Cutting shims are quite dangerous as you cant hold onto the shim leading to it being a possible projectile. I just buy these
http://www.lowes.com/pd_3982-57404-...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

I used 4 packs on my 220 spread out 1.5-2.0 inches from one another just because the concrete under the carpet was so uneven.

You want to fill the tank about 40% let it sit for a couple hours or even a day and then start to shim it level. But note don't break them off yet. After you get it level fill the tank about 80%-100% and then let it sit for a day and then check it with the level again. Chances are is if you're on carpet you'll need to tap the shims in a bit to compensate for the carpet. Hard wood floors isn't much of a problem but make sure your shimming job takes about 2 days just to make sure everything is settled and correct.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks Daniel say its off only front to back on the left side (hypothetically) I would only need to shim the back left side correct ?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Do you have a level? Should be able to tell before hand if your floor is level or not.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yes I do and its level just dont know if it will still be spot on once the tank and water are in place....just trying to think ahead

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Honestly I dont know haha! All my tanks are in a den which I personally laid the concrete, I thought it was level but seems like it wasn't. Basically all my tanks are on 70% shims and 30% concrete just because it has high spots. I guess I should have been more careful when laying the concrete lol.

But I would start there. Depending on how much it needs to be adjusted you might have to shim the other side as well to maintain the level. But just start where its logical and keep shimming until the tank is all level making sure you check it with the level often. If you mess up you can just get a pry-bar and stick it under the tank and remove the shims and retry so don't worry about screwing it up lol. I found that I add shims every two inches all around if they fit just for a stronger foundation, but as long as all 4 corners are "planted" its fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store