New 90g eartheater tank sharing

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello everyone. I am new to MKF and am excited to join this forum. As a start, I would like to share with you my new 90g eartheater tank. The water quality is fine, with 0 ammonia and NO2. You may notice there a screen of foam on top of the tank. That's because I'm now dosing Melafix, which I will mention later.

DSC_00861_zpsbc70563f.jpg

The tank has started running for a month. The inhabitants includes:
lemon tetra X10
OH tapajos X6

The orange head are all juveniles of size ranges from 2-3inches. They are my first eartheaters, so I'm pretty excited about it. They are still small, but are already showing some fine coloring.
DSC_00851_zpsa896e575.jpgDSC_00841_zpsc7d785dc.jpgDSC_00751_zps12c496d7.jpgDSC_00741_zps1f7e7dc7.jpgDSC_00731_zpscf876411.jpg
You can see the eartheaters' tail are all ragged, though their other fins are fine. I believe it is due to aggression, since the water quality is fine and the tetra has perfect tails. These guy like chasing, nipping and bumping each other around, so I think that's the problem. I try using Melafix to prompt tail regrowth and prevent infection. It's day 3 of the treatment, but there is still no significant improvement. I will keep monitoring the situation.

When observing the fish, I actually observe a few special behavior which I don't know if they are common are not.
First of all, my tank had a very mild BBA problem, and I was thinking to introduce SAEs to address the problem. But, one day, I saw my orange heads munch on the algae. I didn't know that there are fish other than SAE which would eat BBA. Seeing that, I decided to leave the BBA be. My orange heads will keep them in check.

I also find some of them digging pits. Certainly not for reproduction, as they are still small. I don't know why do they do this, but some will rest in their pits at night.

Anyway, this is my new tank. Sorry for the poor photos. I don't have my camera with me so I have to use my phone. Besides, the fish just swarm upon me every time I get near the tank. It's hard to make a shot.
BTW, I am new to the eartheater. If any of you see any problem, please feel free to advice. Thanks.

DSC_00861_zpsbc70563f.jpg

DSC_00851_zpsa896e575.jpg

DSC_00841_zpsc7d785dc.jpg

DSC_00751_zps12c496d7.jpg

DSC_00741_zps1f7e7dc7.jpg

DSC_00731_zpscf876411.jpg

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Good looking tank indeed. Algae bloom is quite common for relatively new set ups. Dont overfeed fish and keep lighting, particularly sunlight to a minimum and it should peter itself out. Good choice to pass on the algae eaters, they are a nasty customer, and your fish feed by sifting sand, so they are the bottom feeders anyways. Hope it all stays good for ya.. enjoy! Quick addition.. go easy on meds.. even though Melafix is quite mild, your fish are babies and have not yet developed immune systems. Clean water is the key, provide as much as you can, use a quality conditioner like Prime or AquaSafe with each change and all should be good.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Good looking tank indeed. Algae bloom is quite common for relatively new set ups. Dont overfeed fish and keep lighting, particularly sunlight to a minimum and it should peter itself out. Good choice to pass on the algae eaters, they are a nasty customer, and your fish feed by sifting sand, so they are the bottom feeders anyways. Hope it all stays good for ya.. enjoy! Quick addition.. go easy on meds.. even though Melafix is quite mild, your fish are babies and have not yet developed immune systems. Clean water is the key, provide as much as you can, use a quality conditioner like Prime or AquaSafe with each change and all should be good.
X2 to that...

Water changes, and a slight temperature increase (80-83f) will help speed up the healing process, just make sure you keep your water aerated at higher temps.

Would like to give you more information but your water quality description is lacking a bit. There's a lot of members on the forum that have gone through the same problems you're facing now but we need info; the more the better. E.g. water change schedule, nitrate count, temp. Ph, gh, etc. Also in this situation the type of lights you're using and lightning schedule.

All in all good looking setup and stock, make sure to keep us updated with pics as they grow out!

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks. I will stop dosing Melafix for now, and have a water change tonight. Two of their tails are actually becoming more ragged today. I guess Melafix cannot do much on the juveniles.

Some water parameters:

Temp: 82-83F (It's our room temperature here.)
PH: 7.0
KH: 80mg/l
GH: 60mg/l
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5 mg/l
Water change schedule: 50% per week
Light: 30WX2 T5, 12h a day

Also got some clearer shots on their tails. The side of their tails didn't turn white, so I guess it is not fungus.

DSC_00901_zpsf9b7fbbc.jpgDSC_00891_zps62c858cf.jpgDSC_00911_zpsd108a6ed.jpgDSC_00941_zps1ffa64d2.jpg

DSC_00901_zpsf9b7fbbc.jpg

DSC_00891_zps62c858cf.jpg

DSC_00911_zpsd108a6ed.jpg

DSC_00941_zps1ffa64d2.jpg

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
In my opinion those tails really aren't too worrysome, cichlids tend to heal fairly quickly from minor tears like those. I only really worry about cichlid aggression if one specific cichlid won't ever leave another specific one alone, or the fins get shredded, or scales are missing. I had some Gymnogeophagus that I ordered online come in with totally shredded tails, one was even missing most the tail. I am not sure if they did that to each other in the bag or before mailing, but they are mostly healed up now and it has only been a week.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Nice aquascaped aquarium, as for all the sand sifting my geo's lol are non stop .:)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Thanks. I will stop dosing Melafix for now, and have a water change tonight. Two of their tails are actually becoming more ragged today. I guess Melafix cannot do much on the juveniles.

Some water parameters:

Temp: 82-83F (It's our room temperature here.)
PH: 7.0
KH: 80mg/l
GH: 60mg/l
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5 mg/l
Water change schedule: 50% per week
Light: 30WX2 T5, 12h a day

Also got some clearer shots on their tails. The side of their tails didn't turn white, so I guess it is not fungus.

View attachment 1026082View attachment 1026083View attachment 1026084View attachment 1026085
Love it!

I agree with the above posts, I dont think there's any reason to worry, throw in a few extra water changes over the next month or so and keep an eye on em'. I bet the tails heal up in no time.

As far as the alage, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you don't see it spreading. Cutting a few hours off your lightning schedule may help; I used to run lights for 12+ hours but have trimmed that down to 10, I'm sure that 8 would help even more.

Big fan of the tank, keep us updated and lets see some full tank shots!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store