Switching tanks and moving.

Rosiewhatsis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Chicago
Hi, relatively new to the hobby. I have a ten gallon tank that was given to me, used. I cycled and stocked it with plants and a small school (8) neons and they are doing really well. I've had it about 4 months. I'm moving soon and have no idea how to get these guys safely over to the new place. I'd like to upgrade my tank size, too, while I'm at it, especially since this one has sprung a small leak. I have no opportunity to set up, much less cycle the new tank before moving and it's happening in 3 weeks. Any advise? The drive is short so that's not a big problem. Should I thoroughly vacuum the gravel, first? I'm worried about stirring up all the gunk but I want to save as much media as possible. I've been doing weekly vacs of a third of the tank up till now with mu pwcs. How well does the cycle stay intact with a transfer to a larger tank?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
As ling as you submerge the filter media in tank water you will be fine

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Hello, this should actually be a pretty simple move for you. I had to move a 20 gal and fish about a thousand miles a couple different times, didnt loose any of the fish in the process. Day of the move siphon water from the tank into a 5 gal bucket, do not suck the gunk out of the gravel, you just want the water. Put the fish and plants into this bucket. Assuming they will only be in the bucket a few hours you shouldnt need an air pump.

Siphon the gunk out of the gravel, then put the gravel into another bucket (assuming you wish to use it in your new tank). Bring the filters, decorations, all that stuff that you would like to use on the new tank over to the new place.

Set the new tank up, using the gravel if you wish, but especially the filter(s). As long as you do not add any other fish for a while and use the same filter you should not experience a cycle. Do not change the filter pad, you want the bacteria that is on it. Get the temp where it needs to be, you can add the water from the old tank to get it closer to the same params and add the fish.

Being a bigger tank you'll probably want to add some more filtration, that can always be added after the tank is set up. As long as the only thing you are changing is the tank you really should not experience a cycle. The filter holds the majority of the bacteria, so long as you hold onto it, keep the filter pad wet and get it on there right away you should be good to go.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rosiewhatsis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Chicago
Yeah thanks. What if I want to change my substrate? I was thinking of something more plant friendly. Should I blend it with the old or can I ditch my old gravel without hurting my bacteria population too much.

Rosiewhatsis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Chicago
I dont think you really need to worry. How big of a tank are you planning to upgrade to?
Not sure. Probably just a little larger. I don't really want to have to replace my filter or buy a lot of extra stuff to fill the space. I would like to put a small group of cory cats in and get a couple more neons, eventually. Maybe a Betta if he doesn't mind the crowd. I think that's doable with a 16 or 20. Trouble is, all the fancy tanks come as a kit with their cheap equipment they charge a fortune for. Any suggestions?

Rosiewhatsis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Chicago
They do but just basic rectangular. Anything more attractive, like bowfront or rounded cornered are all kits. :( The more I think about it the more I think I might just go out and buy another $15.00 ten gallon and not make any quick expensive decisions until I'm settled. The extra small tank probably comes in handy to have for emergencies, anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store