pimelodid ID

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Looks like a Blochii. How's it getting along with the sun cat?

Catfish Pownage 63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Arlington, WA
Looks like a Blochii. How's it getting along with the sun cat?
don't think its blochii because i have one in there he looks a lot different then the blochii that i have and as for the sun cat he is still very shy except him and the blochii are the ones that fight and growl at eachother

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd say Blochii. There is def. variability, not only geographical but also during various life / size stages.

Def. no albo - albo has regular lines of larger spots.

Catfish Pownage 63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Arlington, WA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good call. One top site (PCF) versus another (ScotCat). I've had a couple of dozen of blochii. Good half looked like that at ~6". When I asked on PCF if they were an albofasiatum, I was shot down. That was early in my fish keeping. I agree with them now.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Catfish Pownage 63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Arlington, WA
Good call. One top site (PCF) versus another (ScotCat). I've had a couple of dozen of blochii. Good half looked like that at ~6". When I asked on PCF if they were an albofasiatum, I was shot down. That was early in my fish keeping. I agree with them now.
then its blochii, and this is the first i have seen of this variant also some questions: how and or will this variant effect: adult size, growth, and temperament? because he acts like exact the opposite of the blochii i have
and i apologize for being very torn about this ID

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't think I recall much difference in any trait between my blochii.

Describe please what behavioral differences you see.

From your photos, the one you call blochii looks closer to albo :) but this may be a funny angle. I don't recall ever coming across a single confirmed case of albo. Hence, I doubt we ever see them imported.

Nothing wrong to be torn :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store